How do read codes CEL ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do read codes CEL ?

I have no CEL that functions . I have the diagnosis connector I plugged in my code reader an older unit but works great on factory built BMW cars up to 2001 with round connector . It will not find correct DME seems to go in an say no codes found but I am not convinced . Is there another way or a tool that is know to work .

1989 chassis
    s52 obd-1
    e34 harness
    506 non ews dme .
    thr adapter

Does the 5 stomp trick work or no? if not you probably dont have it wired correctly.

Where in CT you located?

*edit by you i meant thr haha. have you tried contacting them?
    -Chris

Comment

I am in New Hartford . The CEL does not light at all . I assume the THR adapter took care of the wiring correctly but maybe I need to make anther change somewhere . Time to search .

Comment

If you don't have a CEL that lights when you turn the key to run then goes off when you start the motor, then your wiring is wrong.

Correct that issue, then use the stomp test.

If you have a more serious diagnostic connector and software package, you can read a lot more detailed information about the DME out of the diagnostic port.

Comment

Yeah. Talk to THR
          -Chris

Comment

Ok checked and car never had a CEL nothing in the cluster and no wire on the e30 side of the harness for a light car is 1988 m3? someone else must have dealt with this beofre . As anyone added one ?

Comment

I'm dealing with a problem on trying to use a code reader as well. Do you know which Pin's need to get power with they key in the ON position in order for the coder reader to work?

Only PIN 14 in my car has power...yours?

BTW - there is no CEL light or any provision for one in an e30 dash. If a light would go on you would only know about it if you checked the codes.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
                I'm dealing with a problem on trying to use a code reader as well. Do you know which Pin's need to get power with they key in the ON position in order for the coder reader to work?

Only PIN 14 in my car has power...yours?

BTW - there is no CEL light or any provision for one in an e30 dash. If a light would go on you would only know about it if you checked the codes.

Dave
                What?

My check engine light works great.

Comment

My cluster has no check engine light in it all all . i pulled the cluster and shined a light thru all the blanks not even the words CHECK ENGINE . 1990M3 may be different

Comment

It doesn't say check engine. Only domestics say check engine. It's to the left of the cluster, near the fog light lamp.

It's just a symbol.

Comment

three green letters then fog lights thats it . I pulled my harness boot at the connector under hood on the e30 side there is no wire on the harness . #12 I recall

Comment

Then you have the cluster out of an ETA or early 318. I have never seen an i car without a CEL. Or someone took it out.

Comment

1988 m3 cluster there is no wire behind the cluster either . from what I gather back in my old dealership days the CEL was on it's own seperate plug or was that abs ? anyways never had it and the cluster is an m cluster

Comment

see
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ericzz View Post
                              1988 m3 cluster there is no wire behind the cluster either . from what I gather back in my old dealership days the CEL was on it's own seperate plug or was that abs ? anyways never had it and the cluster is an m cluster
                              This is from my 88 m3. I think I had to add the bulb and run the wire over to the DME. It's an add-on like the ABS light.

No 8k tach? humm j/k
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X