No announcement yet.

My e30 318is s52 swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, i sent my car of to the shop to get the clutch fixed, but as soon as I get it back i'm going to post what I did and pictures.

Windsor, that's what I did. I installed my oil pan, and didn't mess with any coolant hoses, or wiring until I put the motor in, i also made sure to have the headers installed while the motor was out of the car. Don't get frustrated when your putting the motor in, it could take a while.. it took me and my buddies about 2 hours trying to get it in there!! It was kinda frustrating haha.

Also, you really don't have to worry about your oil pan nut on the s52s, it's the s50 guys who like to track/autoX/drive their cars heavily who have the oil pump nut issues. You can never be too safe, but i didn't bother messing with mine.

Also, if you haven't already remove your fan clutch out of the car, i think it would be easier, it was kind of a pita doing it in the car, but not to bad.

-Abe.

s52 0-150mph & more http://www.youtube.com/loonibab325i

Comment

Originally posted by loonibab325i View Post
      Ok, i sent my car of to the shop to get the clutch fixed, but as soon as I get it back i'm going to post what I did and pictures.

Windsor, that's what I did. I installed my oil pan, and didn't mess with any coolant hoses, or wiring until I put the motor in, i also made sure to have the headers installed while the motor was out of the car. Don't get frustrated when your putting the motor in, it could take a while.. it took me and my buddies about 2 hours trying to get it in there!! It was kinda frustrating haha.

Also, you really don't have to worry about your oil pan nut on the s52s, it's the s50 guys who like to track/autoX/drive their cars heavily who have the oil pump nut issues. You can never be too safe, but i didn't bother messing with mine.

Also, if you haven't already remove your fan clutch out of the car, i think it would be easier, it was kind of a pita doing it in the car, but not to bad.

-Abe.

Nice!

Quick question, are you going to keep the fan clutch or remove it?

Any plans to run an electric fan?

What about you Windsor?
      IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

get rid of the mech Fan AND clutch. the only thing that will fit between the engine and the radiator is a SPAL 16" 2.05"thick 1300CFM fan....and it'll have maybe .1-.2" of clearance. i still had the stock A/C pusher on the front, i planned to keep the condenser but not any more so i might get a high CFM 14" SPAL pusher for the front.

also, you don't have to delete the TB coolant lines, if you want to put a sensor there, just Tee it and route the flow 90* so that the sensor gets plenty of flow...(temp sensor right?) this is what i'm going to do
        No more e30s for me.
        88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
        88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
        91 BMW 325i [sold]
        86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
          get rid of the mech Fan AND clutch. the only thing that will fit between the engine and the radiator is a SPAL 16" 2.05"thick 1300CFM fan....and it'll have maybe .1-.2" of clearance. i still had the stock A/C pusher on the front, i planned to keep the condenser but not any more so i might get a high CFM 14" SPAL pusher for the front.

also, you don't have to delete the TB coolant lines, if you want to put a sensor there, just Tee it and route the flow 90* so that the sensor gets plenty of flow...(temp sensor right?) this is what i'm going to do
          Not necessarily true... For some reason the spacing of various items on these swaps (fans, brake boosters, etc...) vary greatly from swap to swap. I've seen plenty of setups that have maintained the stock fan/clutch setup. In fact, the stock fan/clutch fit fine with my euro engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike B. View Post
            Not necessarily true... For some reason the spacing of various items on these swaps (fans, brake boosters, etc...) vary greatly from swap to swap. I've seen plenty of setups that have maintained the stock fan/clutch setup. In fact, the stock fan/clutch fit fine with my euro engine.
            yeah, there was no way my factory s52 fan clutch fit. I'm not saying you can't get one to work, because you can. I just think you might as well delete it and go a different way.

-Abe.

Comment

I used the m20 one for a while. Ended up contacting the rad under braking (not even being too rough on the thing!) Oh well. It was close though. I hear the m20 fan/clutch is skinnier than the others.
              -Chris

Comment

yes, i heard that as well. I don't know, to me it's not worth the hastle, fan clutches FTL!

-Abe.

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                  Nice!

Quick question, are you going to keep the fan clutch or remove it?

Any plans to run an electric fan?

What about you Windsor?
                  nope no fan here, ill prolly get the spal if i have any issues......since i just got a powerdyne supercharger!! im going to leave it off for now, i might as well see how the s52 feels first. i hate making more work but this is worth it.

Abe like the others said post em up when you get a chance!

Comment

anyone have a pic of the temp sensor setup with an elbow for the TB lines??

heres what i did yesterday...

heres my concern, this chain had a little play i took 2 pics to show, should i be concerned or is it normal.

Comment

I'm not too sure about the chain, maybe some one else will chime in on that.

What headers are those?

-Abe.

Comment

they are the ebay ss headers i got the same ones. i will let you know about the chain im about ready to open pandoras box lol. i will let you know on sunday

www.gutenparts.com
                        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

motor was suppose to go in today, but i seem to have misplaced the throw out bearing, so tomorrow im trying to get it in, instead i did some little shit here and there. the car is offically on the floor, first time in 4 months... anyone ever use a 318 throw out bearing? its a centerforce piece, seems to fit okay. check out my clean wiring loom, last pics of the car with mo motor in it.

Comment

Great looking swap unfolding here!

Originally posted by windsor318is View Post
                            motor was suppose to go in today, but i seem to have misplaced the throw out bearing
                            This is the sort of the crap that keeps happening to me...small things delaying big jobs...very frustrating!

Comment

wow really liking the car.
                              Minus the painted booster :D.

the play on the oil pump chain its nomal.
                              tell me ur welded the bolt before u put back the pan.

www.stancefactory.com

Comment

lube the **** out of the throw out bearing maybe you'll be the first R3v member w/o that annoying rattle. looking good man. is that all spray paint?! dayuum
                                No more e30s for me.
                                88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                                88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                                91 BMW 325i [sold]
                                86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Working...
                                X