My e30 318is s52 swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by windsor318is View Post
    what about the AA gen 3 ill have behind it, has anyone heard this setup before?

thanks for the pic, now im really confused....i tryed the e30 bavauto carrier, and it was 2 inchs to long, so when i get the e36 m3 parts, im stilling going to have a problem. anyone have any ideas????????
    The AA gen3 will clean it up, but those headers make rasp regardless. I just personally don't like most of the swap setups I've heard with the SS knock off headers. I went the dumb route and used a turbo manifold as my header, b/c I hadn't known about the ebay headers 2.5 years ago (i don't want to see my torque curve). But ask anyone who has heard my car, and the exhaust combo I used turned out to be one of the nicest exhaust notes I've ever heard. If I had a camera i would tape it for you guys.
    Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
      everyone says that the e36 carrier works fine with the zf tranny

thats odd because it seems like the lengths are the same, im going to order a fleabay kit just for the hell of it, but i might be burning money, its almost like my tranny is sitting back to far bbut thats impossible.

Comment

heres more pics, first one is my clutch line rig, couldnt find the german connector at any parts place but they did have a short line with the right connector at each end, looks sweet to me.

this is a measurement from the center of the dowel hole on the top of the tranny to the back of the mount, can someone verify this is normal length?

e30 carrier....2 inchs too long, if i get angry enough i fill cut the $250 dollar shift kit and make it the right length.

on a good note, this is a e36 m3 bottom linkage, and it seems like its the perfect length, it sits right in the middle of the opening where it connects to the bottom of the lever.

i think i might go ahead and order a shift kit for the e36 m3, thats gotta be the problem. i also measured the length of shaft i would need and its 58 1/4", 328/m3 shafts are 58 3/4 this also includes the thickness of the guibo. i would have had to cut the right shaft anyways.

Comment

i put my e30 and e36 one together and the e30 one is longer. use the e36

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

i apoligize for all the pics, i thought there might be some interest in the driveshaft modifying though.

my first race when the e30 is done, he laughs at me....

Comment

see i told you it was easy.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

With regard to the shifter carrier, I found that the E36 shifter was not going to work in my conversion - it was too long. I used my original E30 M3 carrier that is slightly short but I prefer the shifter to be further forward than too far back.
                For the rod, I used a good suggestion found on this site that makes "tuning" it very easy. I cut the E36 rod then tapped it - the I.D. is just right for a 12mm thread. I used a 12mm threaded rod (cut the head off a bolt) to assemble the rod. Then I carfully shortened the rod until the length and rotation was to my liking - a bit forward and to the left to minimize the reach from the steering wheel. Once set I had it welded. Image is shifter in neutral.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4228.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	7107024

Comment

do you have any pics of your linkage setup? sounds interesting. its just the carrier im having a problem with, actualy i wont know where my lever sits till i have it in.

Comment

he has a m3 i dont know it that would make a differnce or not.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of my linkage but it's nothing special, just the M3 carrier (same PN as a 325) and a shortened E36 rod.

There was an earlier thread titled 'Shift Carrier Question' that discussed some of the variations with photos. I can't believe there's any difference with the M3 tunnel and shifter opening but it was not going to be easy to make the E36 set-up work without it being pretty far back and towards the passenger. The E30 carrier was centered and a bit forward - more to my liking.

Comment

you the man, ill look for that thread, i thought this part of the swap was straight forward, but there seems to me more variations of setups for this.

update....i had to pull my 17 year old m42 rad out....kept leaking, swaped it out for an 97 e36 318 rad which is idential, i owe my buddy a present for having all these parts laying around.
                        tomorrow that shaft is getting welded, i cant take it anymore i need to drive it. shifter linkage should be in the mail in the next couple days.

how many people got there shaft re balanced?? everyone is busting my balls to do it. what you guys think?

Comment

it should be fine if it is welded right and not done poorly. i mean as in chunky welds.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

my first race when the e30 is done, he laughs at me....
                            [/quote]

well if it's the m3, then you'll be laughing...but you would have no chance against that c6
                            Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Dude-spend the little $ and get it balanced. If not, your rear tranny bearings and rear diff bearing will pay the price eventually. Not to mention you might have some vibrations. Oh-the u-joints will eat it too.

Comment

+1 for balancing!
                                No more e30s for me.
                                88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                                88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                                91 BMW 325i [sold]
                                86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Working...
                                X