No announcement yet.

My e30 318is s52 swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i cant take the vid, my camera is crap, cant see shit with it. i took some shit apart today, and i have made no progress. i tested all the fuel injectors, i though i didnt have the vacuum line connected to the fuel regulator, but i must have cause that made no difference. i cant see that i have anything connected wrong, can someone explain exactly from what lines to run this aftermarket FPR, im a little confused if i connect the IN line from the car directly to it? and the OUT from the fuel rail to the FPR and back to the car line? i think this could be one of my issues, i was also going to throw the M50 injectors in, just to see what happens.

Comment

I'm sorry if you've answered this already but did you ever say where exactly the manifold appears to be expanding? The collector, and if so where on it? One of the runners?

The regulator shouldn't make a difference unless it's stuck open - if unplugged it can cause an excess of pressure but not a lack of it (ie lean run)

Comment

its on the entire side where the throttle body mounts, the side with all the ribs people grind down if there booster is rubbing. huh so its a waste of my time installing that regulator then? i figured i could maybe stop it from leaning out, assuming it was a fuel problem. i think i might take it to a shop to look at....ive almost given up here.

EDIT: know that i put it all back together, it ran for 2 minutes and cut out, now im really confused. ill have to get this thing to my mechanic.
        Last edited by windsor318is; 06-10-2008, 01:19 PM.

Comment

You probably forgot to hook something up or something fell out, like the ICV hose out of the manifold.

Don't give up just yet. Take it as an axiom that the manifold can't expand and figure out precisely what you are seeing. Something is either loose or broken.

Comment

Solution.

Take intake manifold off.

Get a "new" One

Enjoy.

no manifold should be bending/ribbing. You can also shave the fins and create an extra centimeter or so of clearance. Upon installing the new manifold, check all hoses and make sure all the plugs go to the correct components.

and about the FPR, stock is probably better. my s52 track car (now 1/2 a car) uses the stock obd2 FPR.
            No more e30s for me.
            88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
            88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
            91 BMW 325i [sold]
            86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

see....i have the gay 325i obd1 fuel pressure regulator, i think this one cant keep up for the 3.2. whats the factory one you got look like? do you no if the specs are different than the one i got?

i need this thing done, its pissing me off now. and BMP is getting an ear full tomorrow. why wouldnt they track this resonator when its coming from overseas?????

Comment

What's wrong with the OBDI FPR? That's what I have too.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                  It sounds like you have some sort of big problem with your intake manifold... I'm not sure exactly what.
                  It's most likely his experimentation with the following cutting edge technology:

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

EDIT: ^^ LOL

not sure why obd1 regulator is gay, but AFAIK, OBD1 FPR = 3.0bar, OBD2 FPR = 3.5bar (i may be wrong with numbers, but i remember there is .5bar difference between the two)
                    So you better make sure your chip is for the right fuel pressure (otherwise your AFRs will go to shits even with the right injectors)

and lol @ expanding manifold, replace that sucker. Be methodical at re-checking everything and use process of elimination. Oh and no shops, DIY it - i-manifold is not that bad at all - you are on the finishing straight.
                    Last edited by static; 06-11-2008, 08:00 AM. Reason: because

Comment

nah but seriously, the OBD-I FPR is a 3.5 bar Bosch unit that is shared between the S50 US and the M50. PN 13531726385 or 110.

Comment

Okay, so show me where the priest touched you, er, I mean where it's "expanding".

Seriously, I don't even see how this is possible, it's a rigid piece of plastic. Unless you went batshit insane and shaved all the plastic down to nearly nothing, I don't see how it could "flex". Retorque all your throttle body connections down, or better yet, just replace the F'n manifold.

-Charlie
                        Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                        '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                        FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                          nah but seriously, the OBD-I FPR is a 3.5 bar Bosch unit that is shared between the S50 US and the M50. PN 13531726385 or 110.
                          sorry to bust yer balls, Fred, but according to Bentley (130-11, table c) you are incorrect.

i'm almost willing to bet that the OP will find a BIG honking crack somewhere underneath the manifold once he takes it off

Comment

Dang. Now I'll have to rush home and check the PN on my fuel rail. eFIGHT!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                              Dang. Now I'll have to rush home and check the PN on my fuel rail. eFIGHT!!!!
                              i was talking about the pressure (not PN). As i said, obd1=3bar, obd2=3.5bar

Comment

Wow. I have never in 10+ years heard of an expanding manifold like this. I have seen tons of GM 3.1l, 3.4l, 3.8l manifolds crack, Mitsu Galant 2.0l seperate at the TB, but never seen one "swell".

Comment

Working...
                                X