Few wiring issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few wiring issues

I am to the poin of wiring the harness to my car (1987 325e) and i am running into some issues with not having some of the wires that i am suposed to have from the info i have gathered from searching
    What i have is
    E30 pin 1 to E36 pin 25 (done)
    E30 pin 2 to OLS pin 1 (what is OLS pin 1)
    E30 pin 3 to X
    E30 pin 4 to E36 pin 12 (done)
    E30 pin 5 to E36 pin 23 (done)
    E30 pin 6 to E36 pin 22 (done)
    E30 pin 7 to E36 pin 21 (done)
    E30 pin 8 to E36 pin 24 (done)
    E30 pin 9 to E36 pin 20 (dont have E30 pin 9)
    E30 pin 10 to OLS pin 2 (what is OLS pin 2)
    E30 pin 11 to E36 pin 19 (done)
    E30 pin 12 to E36 pin 8 (dont have E30 pin 12)
    E30 pin 13 to E36 pin 13 (done)
    E30 pin 14 to E36 pin 14 (dont have E30 pin 14)
    E30 pin 15 to E36 pin 15 (dont ahve E30 pin 15)
    E30 pin 16 to E36 pin 17 (Something with Diag. of Air bag wich i dont have)
    E30 pin 17 to X
    E30 pin 18 to E36 pin 18 (done)
    E30 pin 19 to X
    E30 pin 20 to (splice itno red/white wire from the main relay on the E36 harness) ????
    If theres any thing some one sees wrong plz let me know.
    This is for my car swap which is a 1994 M50(E36) into a 1987 325e

OLS is Oil Level Sensor in the E34 oil pan.

The E30 diagram you are going off of is from an 89+ car, that is the reason why some of the wires are not in the same pin locations. Determine the functions for the pin #'s on you E30 and match them to the corresponding function/pin #'s on the E36 engine harness.

You can't just match pin numbers or wire colors and expect this go smoothly.

PM me with you address and I will snail mail you the ETM for the E36 engine year and the E30 chassis year. I tried to email the files a while back, but they were too large and got kicked back by your email server.

Comment

Can any one tell me if these two wires that are comming from the fuse box over to the power block are both power wires or is one a ground?

And just by chance what would i need to do with this smaller what seems to be a power wire. Not the starter cable but the smaller one next to it?

Comment

Any body help me out here
        ?

Comment

not sure where the cables in the first pic are coming from...

In the second pic, both cables are power--they can both be connected to the starter.

In the E36, the red cable gets hooked up to the starter and the smaller cable next to it gets connected to the fuse box. But, in the E30, the fuse box is powered by a separate cable.

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

In the first pic both of those lines are comeing from the fues box i beleive that they both get connected to the Power block and power the fuse box but i wanted to make sure that they were not split to be one ground and one power.

Comment

Where are the cables in the first pic coming from? Are they connected to anything? And were they originally from the E30?

Comment

^^ yes they are originally in the e30 and coming from the fusebox. They are both Positive wires that were originally connected the "+" ports on (across/over the motor) the pass side of the e30 where the battery terminals & e30 cruise control are...i just checked my car and i mark EVERYTHING.

and those two wires you're holding in the second pic seems like they connect together at the starter...i can't recognize them, but if you only have 1 wire to your starter the otherone goes in the same place. let me know i'll check my car next time i work on it
                No more e30s for me.
                88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                91 BMW 325i [sold]
                86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Yes, they are definitely the E36 power wires. The large power cable splits into two cables inside the E36 wiring harness plastic enclosure.

Comment

To be sure, it's good to check continuity between those wires and known power and ground wires with a DMM. That way you can't be upset at an internet forum for giving you bad or wrong advice and you learn how to identify mystery wires in the future.

Comment

IM here i got every thing hooked up and started the car for the first time in 6 months sense it lit on fire... thats why i dont know where any thing goes cuz every thing was chared and burnt if it was rubber or plastic

But im having a problem with idle, when i start it up, it jumps up some where in the neck of maybe 3g give or take 500 rpm im not sure the tack isnt working yet plus its only a 5k (not sure how to make my tack work yet?? any help on that one 87 model year 325e)

but it will idle down to about a little bit of a high idle by ear but then some times it will bog down, bog's down slower the warmer it gets....ps I only have mani's on it headers are on the way, no O2 sensor, and imnot sure if every thing is 100% right yet.
                      any help with this nice deatailed description i know its kinda vauge I ran outa money so i dont even have colant in it yet thats why im not running any more then about 15 sec, and i dont want the valves to get hot and then have cold air rush back up into the mani's and warp my valves...

Comment

bump any help with this yet guys.....

Comment

^^ maybe you can help me out a second, can you recognize these three? i keep thinking that they are grounds, but i want to make sure.

these are on the pass side:

edit* btw that blue tape in the back, by the firewall are the two wires that you were talking about ;/
                          No more e30s for me.
                          91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                            ^^ maybe you can help me out a second, can you recognize these three? i keep thinking that they are grounds, but i want to make sure.

these are on the pass side:

edit* btw that blue tape in the back, by the firewall are the two wires that you were talking about ;/
                            Ok not 100% sure but if those are the two wires that come from the pass. side from the fuse box? Trace them back behine the motor there and they should go into the fuse box. If they do then they are both Power and just attach them to the power block.

As for # 3 I have no idea i havent seen that on my harness, what harness is that. Is it OBDI Im not sure if i have seen that..... Also just kinda looked at the pic a little closer i see the faint red lines that kinda go through your thumb ??? That doesnt mean that wire goes from your hand to that brown wire does it...
                            If it does then i have no idea what that is i dont have it on my harness or it just looks diff. If i had to guess tho those other two Eye holes were the power for the E30 fues box man.
                            OH ps. guys i got my car up and running fully i was a dumby and forgot i had unpluged the ICV when i was kinda moving wires around for more room and didnt plug it in but i have it completely running now... IM just wainting for muh headersss...

<<<<<<<<<<<NERD edit: i just typed that all i realized you told me what to do with those wires coming from the Fuse box there for i would have no idea what those are for more i look at that it looks like (takeing from you either very well painted or just plastic OBDII valve cover that you are running an OBDII eninge and i would be of No use there bud sorry....
                            Last edited by B3M2W5; 11-20-2007, 06:41 PM. Reason: Gay

Comment

^^ hehe i did tell you where those wires were coming from :D ...these are part of the e36 harness (s52, but m50 should have them too) and come out on the pass side of black box of the engine harness. can you recognize them?

(and yes you are correct, that is an obdII engine/everything.else w/ an m50 manifold :shock: )
                              No more e30s for me.
                              91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

Working...
                              X