So this is a pretty much complete diagram? Wow I really lucked out then lol.
As for "starter immobilization relay", when you mention through pin 3, you mean cut and hollow out pin 3 to route wires to it?
S52 OBDII Wiring Kamasutra 2007
Collapse
X
-
I think ill just get some blanks with plastic covers so I can rig the transponder inside, like the keyless entry fobs.I actually cut out a hole under the A/C control, infront of the storage thingy and put the e36 tumbler there. When i got in the car, i'd put the e36 key in to disable to anti-theft. e30 key in the steering rack (no the e36 tumbler doesnt fit!) and off i went. I thought of it as a security measure from having someone put a screw driver in my car and taking off with it.
Ofcourse i had this additional to kill switches. I was really freaked out of someone driving off with my baby.
So that's #1 reason to retain the EWS. I never tried to see if the 13-button OBD could still lock the ignition with the code.
+1 on what SWISS said about the FPR. The lead is pretty long. Almost as long as the O2 sensor leads so that should help in determining which 2-prong plug goes to the FPR.
i sold my last e30. will no longer own e30s. may this thread live on ; |
The fpr or running losses valve that mounts on the chassis is as simple as installing an x pipe in the fuel supply lines after the fuel filter.
My question is regarding the fuel pressure sensor that mounts on the fuel filler neck, afaict that sensor connects to the e36 body harness, how would the ecu perform with out that information?
I'm staying obd 2 for now to stay within budget, getting it to run is a matter of wiring it properly.
I'm planning to keep the secondary air pump, modify the e34 oil dipstick tube, slot the booster over a half inch, install the running losses valve, install the ews, and try and retain as much as possible from the getrag 240, original clutch, and driveline. Ill also be fitting the e36 m3 exhaust to the car with 4x o2 sensors.
Any thoughts about the feasability of my plan?Leave a comment:
-
I actually cut out a hole under the A/C control, infront of the storage thingy and put the e36 tumbler there. When i got in the car, i'd put the e36 key in to disable to anti-theft. e30 key in the steering rack (no the e36 tumbler doesnt fit!) and off i went. I thought of it as a security measure from having someone put a screw driver in my car and taking off with it.
Ofcourse i had this additional to kill switches. I was really freaked out of someone driving off with my baby.
So that's #1 reason to retain the EWS. I never tried to see if the 13-button OBD could still lock the ignition with the code.
+1 on what SWISS said about the FPR. The lead is pretty long. Almost as long as the O2 sensor leads so that should help in determining which 2-prong plug goes to the FPR.
i sold my last e30. will no longer own e30s. may this thread live on ; |Leave a comment:
-
It's a two prong plug that comes off the OBD2 engine harness, so no wiring required, well unless you need to extend it like I did to mount it under the booster.
Why? To have EWS in an E30?!?? :loco:
I would tape the chip to the ring and stuff it under the dash and never worry about it. Well if I was cheaping out I would, having the DME reflashed suits my needs better since you get the rear o2, purge valve, sec air pump deleted with the EWS. ;)Leave a comment:
-
I never got around to mounting the antenna loop on the tumbler and swapping the transponder over to my e30 key. I ended up getting an ECU tune for my s52 cams and they removed the need for my ews setup so I never bothered mounting the antenna loop. I believe some others have managed to do it though and made it work. Good luck!
Yeah, tree fell on the car and totaled it :( Had to swap everything into an 87 325e.Leave a comment:
-
Luckysnafu, im planning to fit the antenna loop on the tumbler and mount the transponder on the e30 key, is that how you went about it? Sorry to hear about the the tree,...TiiimmmbbbeeerrrLeave a comment:
-
excellent diagram, this definitely makes sense. Since the starter is already connected with the x20/c101 then the only needed wire is the green wire from the ews, pin 7, that tells the ecu everything checks out fine. No need to loop the ignition through the ews, thats probably why a 15 amp fuse is not required. Thank for the reply:DLeave a comment:
-
You are over complicating things. The only wires you need to connect are shown in the diagram below. I can verify this works on a 91 318is as I had my m52 in there before a tree fell on it.
Leave a comment:
-
im planning on swapping an s52 obd 2 from an 99 automatic into my 91 318is, looking throught the etm makes me question whether your wiring guide applies to my particular swap.

1. here it seems to show the green wire from ews module pin 4 going through x20 pin 7 which communicates with the dme. Whereas, you listed ews pin 3 goes to x20 pin 7.
2. This diagram shows pin 3, green/black, going to the ignition switch. Whereas, your diagram shows the same green/black pin 3 going to the starter solenoid via x20 pin 18.
3. My diagram shows pin 1 black/yellow going through x20 pin 18 to starter, whereas yours has the same wire going to the ignition switch.
4. my diagram shows pin 5 of the ews module hooked up to a 5a fuse hot at all times, same as yours.

This diagram shows pin 2 of the transmitter module connected to ignition switched on a 15a fuse, and your diagram calls for a 7a fuse.
Any help figuring out these discrepancies would be greatly appreciated, as im hoping to get this engine swapped as soon as the weather is better.Leave a comment:
-
Great info here, has anyone figured out a way to run and wire the fuel pressure sensor? How does the dme handle the engine without it?Leave a comment:
-
i'm in your same boat.. i'll possibly be moving just south of SF :)I'm at the same spot and this is my understanding as well.
I wouldn't call that confirmation though, so hopefully someone who's done it will chime in.
I also have my own question...
Will tuning my DME out of the rear o2 sensors and air pump keep it from throwing CEL?
In California I need to be up to snuff, tuning the DME (if it doesn't throw a CEL) and using an OBDI header seems to be the answer I need.
If you tune the dme out of the rear O2s and the air pump you won't get a cel when you remove these. You'll need to have the rear O2 on the OBD1 exhaust for looks basically, but you'll need 2 sensors on the pre-cat headers. (obd2 headers, obd1 exhaust)
Anyways the site i was hosting this thread with died (acurainspired.com), but luckally someone is hosting a PDF of my work. I'll re-uphost this pics in time on flickr or photobucket.
LINKLeave a comment:
-
I'm at the same spot and this is my understanding as well.To clarify (I am sorry if I sound redundant)
I am planning an S52 (1997 M3) engine swap into an 89 325i.
I have both complete running cars.
Until now, I had the impression I had to go to OBDI and have been looking to acquire the OBD I fuel and ignition systems, ECU, sensors etc.
And I stumbled on this thread.
From what I am reading, the OBDII, while more involved is a better transplant abd is cheaper since I have the whole car. I just need to connect some electricals a little differently, use the current igntion switch and the rest should mostly be the same as OBDI sawp.
Am I reading this correctly?
Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't call that confirmation though, so hopefully someone who's done it will chime in.
I also have my own question...
Will tuning my DME out of the rear o2 sensors and air pump keep it from throwing CEL?
In California I need to be up to snuff, tuning the DME (if it doesn't throw a CEL) and using an OBDI header seems to be the answer I need.Leave a comment:
-
To clarify (I am sorry if I sound redundant)
I am planning an S52 (1997 M3) engine swap into an 89 325i.
I have both complete running cars.
Until now, I had the impression I had to go to OBDI and have been looking to acquire the OBD I fuel and ignition systems, ECU, sensors etc.
And I stumbled on this thread.
From what I am reading, the OBDII, while more involved is a better transplant abd is cheaper since I have the whole car. I just need to connect some electricals a little differently, use the current igntion switch and the rest should mostly be the same as OBDI sawp.
Am I reading this correctly?
Thanks in advance.Leave a comment:
-
Thats some really great news!
for the dipstick we cut a hole in the e34 dipstick tube and we cut and welded the part from the e36 one on to it. no problems there.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: