Spider hose leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spider hose leak

Is it really necessary to use hose clamps on the plastic adapter between the spider hose and the overflow tank hose? I figured I could get away without any for now to just test the system since that part sees no real pressure. Thankfully I put in only a bit of coolant, to check bit by bit. And that juncture leaks like a sieve! I hurried to put on a hose clamp on the overflow tank side figuring since the adapter came with the spider hose it can't be leaking there... wrong. So pretty much all of the coolant I put in ended up on the floor bit by bit. Fuck. I don't really even see a hose clamp helping so much if it isn't watertight with 0 pressure (and undiluted coolant is pretty damn viscous too). This can't be right...

put a clamp on it

Comment

Originally posted by DaN View Post
      put a clamp on it
      I will, I'm not insinuating I want to leave it like that, but is that all, I mean is this normal? I don't want to put it on if there's a bigger problem there (although I have no idea what it could be).

Comment

Pics would help, I'm not entirely sure what adapter you're talking about. I just used the e30 spider hose and it worked fine. As a general rule, if you are attaching a coolant hose to a nipple or adapter, it will need a hose clamp.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD View Post
          Is it really necessary to use hose clamps on the plastic adapter between the spider hose and the overflow tank hose? I figured I could get away without any for now to just test the system since that part sees no real pressure. ...
          your kidding right. is this one of those internet jokes im just not getting?

your saying the cooling system sees "no real pressure...."

put a clamp on it. stop joking around. cheers, jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason89i View Post
            your kidding right. is this one of those internet jokes im just not getting?

your saying the cooling system sees "no real pressure...."

put a clamp on it. stop joking around. cheers, jason
            I'm not joking. And I didn't say the cooling system sees no real pressure, I said that juncture doesn't, not until things warm up. It's just the overflow line. I wanted to feed in the coolant and crank the engine a few times to circulate it to see if anything leaks before putting everything at operating pressure/temperature. But I clearly didn't get that far.

Originally posted by DaN
            Pics would help, I'm not entirely sure what adapter you're talking about. I just used the e30 spider hose and it worked fine. As a general rule, if you are attaching a coolant hose to a nipple or adapter, it will need a hose clamp.
            This is where the hose from the overflow tank meets the big hose that feeds the engine/return line from heater/supply to throttle body warming circuit.

Comment

I'm not joking. And I didn't say the cooling system sees no real pressure, I said that juncture doesn't, not until things warm up. It's just the overflow line..
              ok, got it.
              the entire cooling system is pressurized when warm. (everyone knows that, i didnt realize you were talking about when it was cold. my mistake. )

AND parts of the cooling system is under slight hydraulic "thump" pressure upon cold start. its a low pressure thump, but enough to blow a seal that is barely holding on (like a hose with no clamp.)

cheers, jason

Comment

I never got to crank it. I was just filling the coolant. Only got a handful in and had a look if anything was seeping and that junction was. The only thing I can think of other than a crack or a tear, is that it was colder than Hilary's cooch in the garage yesterday (my small toes took an hour to get warmed up when I got home, it was like -15 outside) and maybe that plastic fitting shrunk more with the temperature than the rubber... Oh well, I guess I'll try it again with a hose clamp.

Comment

I never got to crank it. I was just filling the coolant. Only got a handful in and had a look if anything was seeping and that junction was. The only thing I can think of other than a crack or a tear, is that it was colder than Hilary's cooch in the garage yesterday (my small toes took an hour to get warmed up when I got home, it was like -15 outside) and maybe that plastic fitting shrunk more with the temperature than the rubber... Oh well, I guess I'll try it again with a hose clamp.

so let me get this straight.......

you put a coolant hose on without any clamp, filled the coolant, and are now asking why it leaked?

i think r3v has offically "jumped the shark."

cheers, jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason89i View Post

you put a coolant hose on without any clamp, filled the coolant, and are now asking why it leaked?

i think r3v has offically "jumped the shark."

cheers, jason

For real, D...

Clamp it up, fill it up, and don't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post

For real, D...

Clamp it up, fill it up, and don't worry about it.
                      Alright, well sorry for assuming that a plastic barbed fitting inside a rubber hose should be watertight to a viscous fluid and shouldn't leak. But I'm glad you guys got a laugh out of my concerns.

No, I didn't fill the coolant. For the third time already, I simply put a little bit in to see if the hose was watertight. It was not and I am wondering if this is a concern for me (such as the fitting is defective), I didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch.
                      Last edited by BigD; 01-20-2008, 11:59 AM.

Comment

I've always found putting 75w90 gear oil there stops the leak.

-Charlie
                        Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                        '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                        FYYFF

Comment

This is almost as good as your oil pan thread was.
                          sigpicFormer professional wrench thrower.
                          Current:
                          1988 325is S52
                          Former:
                          2008 Sparkling Graphite M3 Sedan(victim of home ownership)
                          1988 M5
                          1996 328is

Comment

Originally posted by WillisE30 View Post
                            This is almost as good as your oil pan thread was.
                            Yeah, and your reply is useless as usual. You must be very proud of yourself.

Comment

curious thread

635csi Euro/Alpina B7S

Comment

Working...
                              X