Fan Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan Switches

So tell me about your cooling fan control setup. I'm going to use an aftermarket electric fan. I made some brackets at work and installed it yesterday. What have you done about the temp sensor? Do you use an OEM part and install it in the side tank? I guess I'm going to buy one of those Painless Wiring controllers. I want to get the one that runs the fan for an extra 30 seconds after shutoff ('cuz I think that's neato).

RealOEM says the thread-pitch for the port on the radiator is 14x1.5. Is that a common size for sensors or will I need to mailorder something?

Thanks

Are you running A/C? If not, you can use the aux fan wiring which turns it on when you hit the A/C button.

Comment

yes, a/c button is a very slick way of doing it in my opinion. Works quite well with the stock aux fan or a different fan wired in its place.

Comment

Yes, I'm going to run AC.

I was thinking that since the OEM switch is basically just an on/off switch, I cant use it with an adjustable fan controller, correct?

Comment

ooOOOoOoO, using the a/c button wired up to the aux fan wiring is a good idea. im going to do this since im running a/c delete. thanks for the idea!
          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Just take the wires going to the stock Aux fan and run the wires, after the resistor to keep speed control, to the aftermarket fan. Even allows you to keep the speed switch on the side of the radiator so you don't have to always be pushing the A/C switch.
            My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
            There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

question about fans....how much CFM ratin is enough...i'm installing a 1300 Spal 16" fan becuase i can't fit anything else, but i'm worried that it'll overheat....i'm also in FL...AND have A/C
              No more e30s for me.
              88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
              88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
              91 BMW 325i [sold]
              86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

i used an adjustable thermostat. come in handy, i just need to add a relay so its only on when the car is on.
                NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                  Just take the wires going to the stock Aux fan and run the wires, after the resistor to keep speed control, to the aftermarket fan. Even allows you to keep the speed switch on the side of the radiator so you don't have to always be pushing the A/C switch.
                  im retarded, i dont get what yer saying.

Comment

Cut the wires going into the aux fan, after the big resistor. Then splice the wires for the aftermarket fan, into those wires. Voila, stock style fan.
                    My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                    There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Cut the wires going into the aux fan, after the big resistor. Then splice the wires for the aftermarket fan, into those wires. Voila, stock style fan.
                      oic, yah my aux fan never did kick on by itself....but it did turn on with the a/c button, hense my excitement at realizing i could use that switch for the fan. hehe.

Comment

Thats a good idea!, i just have a lighted aux switch up next to my hazard switch....

I could be wrong someone correct me if i am but... i hear 2100 cfm is about the lowest you want to go on an M20

I have 2500CFM on the M42, but thats blown...
                        Dan Zickel
                        1995 M3, 1991 318iS, 1987 325iS

Comment

i did the same with my 16" electric and it works on 2 speeds like the stock fan, but much faster :p ... much better then pushing a button the whole time, plus it's more efficient
                          Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                            question about fans....how much CFM ratin is enough...i'm installing a 1300 Spal 16" fan becuase i can't fit anything else, but i'm worried that it'll overheat....i'm also in FL...AND have A/C
                            i'm using this fan :

it works great and is pretty cheap, engine stays nice and kool
                            Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

yeah....i don't know where you fit that? i measured 2.2 inches between my radiator and at best...i bought a 2.05" depth 16" Spal and i'm hella worried that 1300cfm won't do the trick. I'm also riggin the A/C fan or maybe replace it with a better one just to help out but even still. How much is enough?
                              No more e30s for me.
                              88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                              88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                              91 BMW 325i [sold]
                              86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Working...
                              X