Been inside your ZF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been inside your ZF?

So I need a new ZF trans. I punctured the input shaft bearing seal, (dont ask). The only way to replace it is to replace the bearing, which means opening up the gearbox. Anyone ever try this? I'm kicking myself for this. I'm going to have to replace an entire transmission for a $90 bearing. Before I break down and buy the trans, I thought I would give it a try. It strikes me as being akin to trying watch repair.

Anyone know of a shop that goes inside ZF's?

Thanks

Not yet but I definitely plan to. I want to change all the seals before installing it on my car. Front input seal? Are you sure you have to remove the bearing? If so, you could take it to a transmission shop and have them take it out for you. Should be like $20-$30.

Comment

No, not the input shaft seal, those are easy. The input shaft bearing...it's inside the transmission.

Comment

Oh, I see. Do you have the Bentley for the e36? I just looked at the e30 transmission chapter and to tell you the truth, it didn't look too bad. I'm assuming the ZF is similar to the Getrag though. You'll probably need a big pair of snap ring pliers, various pin punches, a small container of grease or vaseline, and a couple of large pullers. Rebuilding my jeep tranny took me about 6 hours, and that was taking pictures of every step. I did have to have a shop remove the front bearing, and I had a buddy make me a couple of tools for pressing stuff back in. The special tools were nothing more than simple lathe jobs-a couple of cylinders and rods.
        You seem to be pretty mechanically inclined. It really shouldn't be a problem for you. Replace all the synchros while you're in there. Maybe bearings too.

Comment

The hard part is getting the case off. I had to do this on my truck to diagnose a lack of 5th gear. Once you get the case off, it really is pretty easy to change bearings.
          My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
          There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Looking at the diagram here:

It looks really similar to my jeep tranny. It really shouldn't be that difficult. I'm for sure going to open mine up and replace all the synchros, bearings and seals-provided I can get replacements. At least these needle bearing come in a cage! The ones in my T176 (Jeep) were all loose.

Comment

Does anyone have any idea how long it would take to replace the bearing once the trans is removed?

Comment

Originally posted by swooper View Post
                Does anyone have any idea how long it would take to replace the bearing once the trans is removed?
                You in a hurry?

Worrying about the time factor on a job is the recipe to hear 'boom'.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Most bearings are retained with c-clips. The good thing about the input shaft bearing is that it's not buried deep inside the trans. But yes, the challenge does appear to be getting the case opened. I plan on taking LOTS of pictures to help with reassembly.

Comment

Been inside some older 260's but just to take it apart to familarize myself with it. Not something I would want to do on a regular basis but that just me.

Comment

It's not that I'm in a hurry. It just that I'm doing this under the supervision of a friend who is a shop foreman and I have to do things on his time schedule, so I wanted be able to plan ahead to schedule it. I'm doing the clutch with him, so it will already be taken apart. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X