OK a little more specific.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK a little more specific.

Well I got torched on my last topic.....;) And I've been reading up.

Has anyone made a point to mount the engine as low as possible. Everyone seems willing to shim the drivers side for booster clearance, or shim the other side for header to crossmember clearance.....

I want the thing as low as I can possibly get it. Based on the very few pictures of oil pan to crossmember clearance, I think you could probably lower the engine 1-2 inches VS using the stock E28 mounts......Ideas....Eventually I'd even be willing to go with a dry sump but that's not going to gain all that much. (before flaming away about the dry sump there are guys who have put a system together using used and/or e-bay parts for a few hundred bucks)
    sigpic

88 325is

Not everybody has shims. Many guys are running no shims with the E28 mounts.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

So I wonder how much can be gained as far as lowering the engine is concerned when using a 2002 or 320 booster, and the E34 M.C. and remote resevoir..... And slot the firewall 1/2" and move the whole mess over.
      sigpic

88 325is

Comment

Hm, I've never looked too too close at the clearance between the sump and the crossmember / steering rack. It's already pretty darn close. I'd be surprised if you can get 2" of lowering. If you don't want to futz with slotting etc., I'm sure the Porsche 924 booster can get you all the clearance you could want.

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Its already pretty close to the rack and crossmember , you can maybe get almost a inch .
          But if you raise the rack slightly for bump steer then you're left with maybe half inch or less space .

But you should do whatever you feel you can do and post your results here .
          I'm sure we'd all like to hear about your several hundred Dollar dry-sump ideas .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

clearance with the crossmember is already under 1/4inch.... but ground clearance with the oil pan should be your concern. you seemed pretty serious aobut the tires so i'll give you the benefit of doubt for a dry sump. imho, not worth it.

shims, i run a 1/8 Al shim on the pass side mount just to clear the ebay headers from the subframe, forget the booster it has plenty of clearance.

as far as the booster problem goes, its very simple and has so many solutions. pm me if you need info on this.
            No more e30s for me.
            88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
            88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
            91 BMW 325i [sold]
            86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Terry Fair from EdgeMotorwerks put together a CHEAP dry sump for his V8 (4.4L BMW NOT LS1) E36 M3. All used E-bay or Craigslist parts.....hand fabbed pan......

I think with E30 strut housings, and roll center correcters you would never have to move the rack.......I'll just have to keep up with you guys.....

So the pan to crossmember clearance is the main problem...
              sigpic

88 325is

Comment

that's not a problem. leave the rack alone.

Here's a tip: apart from all the new stuff, the only mod the car needs to fit that engine is the booster swap Period. Even if you're really lowered (i have shortened strut housings!) the pan still has decent clearance though
                No more e30s for me.
                88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                91 BMW 325i [sold]
                86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

I may modify the pan if there is clearance (between pan and rotating assym) to drop the engine lower. I want it as low as possible. I would have to re-read the rules but I may even be able to modify the front subframe/rack mount...........hehe. Something has to be done to keep up with these stupid E36 and AWD SM cars.
                  sigpic

88 325is

Comment

Sorry to clarify. I would only move the rack to compensate for bump steer after the car is lowered. However with E30 M3 strut housings and roll center correction spacers, and bump steer spacers I would be fine. So far as any bump steer is concerned when lowered alot.......So again to clarify my clarification....no I wouldn't move the steering rack.
                    sigpic

88 325is

Comment

Terry Fair isn't from Edge Motorworks. He's with Vorshlag motorsports.

Comment

Also, if you use an E36 rack, since you have to put some spacers between the rack and the mounting point, you can put all the spacers on the bottom of the rack to move it up some to help with bump steer (as marginal an effect it would have).
                        My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                        There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

hmm. i wouldnt dare lower my engine any more without modifying the oil pan sump. my car is dropped about 2.5" and the oil pan sits 2" off the ground. if you were to lower your engine 2", count on fabbing up a dry-sump system. while yer at it make a couple more and sell them here.
                          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
                            hmm. i wouldnt dare lower my engine any more without modifying the oil pan sump. my car is dropped about 2.5" and the oil pan sits 2" off the ground. if you were to lower your engine 2", count on fabbing up a dry-sump system. while yer at it make a couple more and sell them here.
                            +1 on lowered cars the oil pan is already retarded-close to the ground. I'm not running any shims with the E28 "bell pepper" mounts.

If there were any references to the exhaust above, I missed it. The biggest thing you'll need to look at if you lower the engine is exhaust clearance. You'll need to significantly modify your headers or down pipes in order to clear the sway-bar...

What are you really looking to gain from lowering the engine down by 1-1.5 inches?

1987 325i Cabrio - SOLD
                            2014 Chevy Volt
                            2007 FJ Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                              Terry Fair isn't from Edge Motorworks. He's with Vorshlag motorsports.
                              Right....Sorry I've been reading about their 318 autox car lately. Erik Lind was building the V8 M3
                              sigpic

88 325is

Comment

Working...
                              X