Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stu Mc
    Originally posted by ed94r
    Stu,
    One more question. When using the 260, how do you bend the selector rod? It's alloy and seems awful brittle!
    Thanks,
    Ed
    Cut it. Rotate it so the ends have a 10-degree difference. Weld it back together.
    I need to do this. I was also thinking that I might just bend the shift lever itself. I don't know. :?
    '91 318is
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brew
      Originally posted by ed94r
      Stu,
      One more question. When using the 260, how do you bend the selector rod? It's alloy and seems awful brittle!
      Thanks,
      Ed
      Cut it. Rotate it so the ends have a 10-degree difference. Weld it back together.
      I need to do this. I was also thinking that I might just bend the shift lever itself. I don't know. :?
      Brew, you can do it that way as well. I don't know whether or not it is advantagous to mod the selector rod, or the lever. Seems to me that either method would be fine.

Comment

The shifter rod does not have to be bent. Bend the shift lever instead. Works out easy too.

Comment

This is what we did on JasonH's and Bryson's conversions. It is quick, easy, strong, and most of all works very well. Send JasonH a PM, I'm sure he still has a pic of it before he installed it.
          Don't forget the good things Hitler did.

Comment

WIring the vehicle speed sensor. Has anyone done it without that green plug? I dont have that on my cluster and I have tried connecting the grey wire to either output pin on the speedo with no luck. I have also tried connecting it to the brown/red which should be the input.

Im a bit lost because it always throws the code. Is there a common ground on the cluster, does it use a body ground, or do I need to then ground that other half of the circuit back to the ECU? I cant get a check engine light to work either.

I guess the other alternative would be to find what wire goes from the ECU to the OBC.
            Im now E30less.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by trent
              The shifter rod does not have to be bent. Bend the shift lever instead. Works out easy too.
              Stupid question: Where did you make the bend on the lever and how did you do it?
              Thanks.
              '91 318is
              sigpic

Comment

my be too rough, but I would put the fat part into a vice and use a large screw driver to rotate/bend the bottom section.

Comment

Originally posted by kylebes1
                  my be too rough, but I would put the fat part into a vice and use a large screw driver to rotate/bend the bottom section.
                  I don't think a screwdriver is going to bend that lever. :?:
                  '91 318is
                  sigpic

Comment

haha, you guys are talking about modifying two different parts, both of you are right.
                    the screwdriver will bend the upper shift linkage

Comment

I've acces to an wrecked 1993 E36 2.5 really cheap and a couple months ago bites the M50 bug me
                      so here are my Q's :
                      I don't now much about M50 swaps so don't flame me

A 1993 car, has it the famous anti theft system (DWS or EWS )
                      Is it an M50 or M52???
                      and is the E36 wiring harness something worth in an E30???

TIA A.C.

1989 E30 318iS_______________________________1989 E30 325iC M-Technic I
                      1997 E36 328iT
                      1990 E30 325iT 24v SOLD
                      1989 E30 325i 2.7i M-Technic II SOLD

Comment

if i'm not mistaken, EWS became an issue with '96+ engines, which had that and OBDII... 318ti guys dumping sixes in their cars usually had this issue with later engines. Basically you'd have to take your car to a stealer to get something with the computer reset.

a '93 325i is going to have an M50..

dunno about the harness though.
                        1988 325iC - "Betty" - Daily Driver/Project Car.
                        1993 318i - "The Golden Dream" - Dad's Car.
                        1995 318ti - "Hellrot" - R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by BavarianBimmer
                          Is it an M50 or M52???.
                          Its an m50tu. M52 engines are OBD2, 1996+.
                          '91 318is
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brew
                            Is it an M50 or M52???.
                            Its an m50tu. M52 engines are OBD2, 1996+.
                            So it's an Vanos engine ?
                            Is it worth the money and labour for swapping into an E30 ???
                            Wich parts do I need basically ?

Here's a pic :

1989 E30 318iS_______________________________1989 E30 325iC M-Technic I
                            1997 E36 328iT
                            1990 E30 325iT 24v SOLD
                            1989 E30 325i 2.7i M-Technic II SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Bryson
                              haha, you guys are talking about modifying two different parts, both of you are right.
                              the screwdriver will bend the upper shift linkage
                              Ah fuck, now I'm really confused. I was talking about bending the actual shift lever, the part that the knob goes on.
                              '91 318is
                              sigpic

Comment

So it's an Vanos engine ?
                                Intake side VANOS only. Still a nice engine.
                                1988 325iC - "Betty" - Daily Driver/Project Car.
                                1993 318i - "The Golden Dream" - Dad's Car.
                                1995 318ti - "Hellrot" - R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                                X