Zf tranny...what diff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zf tranny...what diff?

If i use a Zf Trans im under the impression that i can use a 96+ 328driveshaft or e36 m3 96+ shaft.

I also need to get a shorter ratio Diff. Does anyone know a specific year (e36) and model that has something around a 3.25 I need to know so i can call the junk yard and try to find one.

Is there and modifications that need to be done to mount an e36 diff to an e30 chassis?

Thanks.

Uhhh yea, it won't work. An e36 diff housing is the farthest thing from an e30 one. Search... And you can get a 3.25 that will bolt up to the e30...
    Max

Comment

Look at E28's for 3.25 diffs. That's where I got mine from (only using it for driving to the Picnic).
      My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
      There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

You should be able to use an e36 m3 3.23 diff by changing the cover to the e30 one.
        The usual thing to do is : e36 m3 zf tranny with e36 m3 diff or e30 tranny with e30 diff. It keeps the ratios street-able.

Comment

^^^ Nope!

The E36 diffs (M3 or otherwise) will not mount to the E30 chassis even with a rear cover change.

Look for E28 diffs like Pierced says. You will need to change out the rear cover and output flanges to run on an E30.

Comment

Originally posted by e30serg View Post
            You should be able to use an e36 m3 3.23 diff by changing the cover to the e30 one.
            The usual thing to do is : e36 m3 zf tranny with e36 m3 diff or e30 tranny with e30 diff. It keeps the ratios street-able.
            Nope, not even close. An e36 diff only shares internal parts with the e30 diff. They are 100% not compatible.

You can swap the rear cover off an e24 or e28 diff and put that in an e30. That's where you can find the 3.25 and 3.46 ratios that are perfect for the e36 trans.

Comment

You can also use the e23 with the rear cover and flanges swapped, That's what I have.

Comment

Learn something new everyday! Sorry for the bad info. I really thought it was usable.
                Hmm. I do have an e28 533i sitting in front of my house....

Comment

MZ3 came with a 3.23 that bolts right up also.

Comment

Originally posted by cheades View Post
                    MZ3 came with a 3.23 that bolts right up also.
                    true, I got one sitting in the garage!

Comment

another suggestion is a 2.93 from an ETA they also have LSD, and its a direct swap.

Comment

So if i find an LSD from an e28 i can just swap the cover off my e30 and it will mount right up?
                        I think they have 4 bolt input shafts...

Im guessing so does the 96+ 328 and 96+ m3?

Comment

And the out put shafts for the axles, which pop right out :D
                          Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by quillbro View Post
                            So if i find an LSD from an e28 i can just swap the cover off my e30 and it will mount right up?
                            I think they have 4 bolt input shafts...
                            Use the backcover and flanges from your current diff (or new/junkyard one) the back cover just unbolts easily and the flanges will pop out easily by prying them

Originally posted by quillbro View Post
                            Im guessing so does the 96+ 328 and 96+ m3?
                            yeah. you got it.

...now word of advice. a ZF + 3.25 = g260 + 4.10 (~2% off) so its really short. tranny gear rations also change. ~ 70mph at 3300rpm on stock 14" rims. do what you must. zf choices are eta's 2.93 or e28's 3.25. some people do 3.64's but they are crazy.
                            No more e30s for me.
                            88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                            88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                            91 BMW 325i [sold]
                            86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

I like the 3.25 + G260 for some reason. I put it in today. The 4.10 is nice also, but the 3.25 is going to be good for highway.
                              My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                              There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Working...
                              X