Clear All

Originally posted by e30serg View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    +1 I too would like to know
    1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

*shrugs*

Comment

Pull the boot back on the small wires running to the coil and put the timing light on the green wire.

I shouldn't have to say this, but that's to check ignition timing, not cam timing.

Comment

Originally posted by e30serg View Post
          I remember having to plug the distributor advance vacuum line on my old car when timing it. How was this taken care of on the s52's? I know it doesn't have an actual distributor....
          Ignition timing is all computer controlled, not adjustable.

Comment

So then where is the mark on the crank or what mark do you go off of for the ignition timing. Creative at getting to those wires. Didn't think bout pulling back the boot, but figured it wouldn't work going thru the plastic. Do you guys do this more to tell if you advanced or retarted it also, or what do you use the ignition timing for with the computer controlled setup? You has my curious now...

Comment

We mostly use that for troubleshooting standalones. Generally we use the stock ECU and reprogram it to get the ignition timing we want, and it ends up perfect every time. No need to even check.

Comment

Cool info. Thanks! The mark on the timing chain cover is right below the mounting point for the CPS. It's a little raised line, like an 11 o'clock tick mark. The mark on the crank is a little arrow on the front of the toothed disk, the timing disk.

Comment

Working...
                X