e34 or e36 engine harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e34 or e36 engine harness?

hi, my friend and i are swapping an m50 into his '86 e30. we have most of the parts for the swap, but are unsure about the electronics. should we use the e34 m50 wire harness or e36 harness? which ecu? assume the engine is from an e34. thanks

Originally posted by lifeiskaos View Post
    hi, my friend and i are swapping an m50 into his '86 e30. we have most of the parts for the swap, but are unsure about the electronics. should we use the e34 m50 wire harness or e36 harness? which ecu? assume the engine is from an e34. thanks
    e36 is best. E34 is about 6 inches shorter so you'll have to make it longer to be able to get the ecu into the glove box or make a case under the engine bay. e36 eliminates that issue and your able to fit it in the glove box in the ecu holder. I would look for a red 413 ecu...

Brendan

Comment

e36 is best. E34 is about 6 inches shorter so you'll have to make it longer to be able to get the ecu into the glove box or make a case under the engine bay. e36 eliminates that issue and your able to fit it in the glove box in the ecu holder. I would look for a red 413 ecu...
      Not to make you look dumb man, but i used a e34 harness for my m50 swap and the harness goes into the glove box with no issues and easily reaches.

Dan
      Current:1995 :540i--m60+6speed+bunch of other goodies(supercharged) hehe
      1995 525i-5, new winterbeater/DD
      In the past
      1987 300sdl(winterbeater/DD)
      1990 325iS caged and m50ed plus a whole bunch of other stuff!
      1995 540i-6 speed oxford over parchemnt
      1990 BMW 325i(s)Brillantrot with black int
      1995 Audi A6 5speed
      1991BMW750il

Comment

Originally posted by BMWE30iS View Post
        Not to make you look dumb man, but i used a e34 harness for my m50 swap and the harness goes into the glove box with no issues and easily reaches.

Dan
        Interesting, didn't stretch when funk and I tried...
        Are you able to mount it in the ecu tray, just curious? Wonder if we were just retarted there. It was midnight...

Comment

I heard it is shorter, but it's not something that zip ties can't fix.
          I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
          2875-C Towerview Road
          Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

alright, well we'll probably just use the e34 harness then. thanks for the replies!

Comment

Worst comes to worst, you extend the wires, no biggie.
              I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Delta Auto Care
              2875-C Towerview Road
              Herndon, VA

Comment

it is shorter. but thats why god invented zip ties

www.gutenparts.com
                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

are you sure about the red label 413? is it a n/vanos engine or ?

should use a seafoam green 402/403/405 for the non vanos right?
                  Flickr
                  Originally posted by Indecline06
                  For some reason, when I get super duper ultra stoned... The M30 motor reminds me of big bird from sesame street.

Comment

if you're going to go with an M50 non-vanos engine you will need a 402 Red label ecu. If you are going with an M50 WITH vanos engine you will need a 413 Red label ecu.

If you go with the M50 non-vanos engine, I have a 402 ecu that I need to sell quick.

Delta Auto Care
                    2875-C Towerview Road
                    Herndon, VA

Comment

for my non vanos I just bought a seafoam green 403. I was told this would work...
                      Flickr
                      For some reason, when I get super duper ultra stoned... The M30 motor reminds me of big bird from sesame street.

Comment

honestly, e36 IS longer. I have used both and have a e34 harness on my car, sure zipties work, but with the e36 harness you can use the 91 318iS dme holder above the glovebox. With my e34 harness, its a huge pain to use the s14 wiring harness cover in the engine bay and have a clean above glovebox install....

Comment

shouldn't be an issue with the treehouse adapter should it?
                          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by evil_twin View Post
                            if you're going to go with an M50 non-vanos engine you will need a 402 Red label ecu. If you are going with an M50 WITH vanos engine you will need a 413 Red label ecu.

If you go with the M50 non-vanos engine, I have a 402 ecu that I need to sell quick.

got an m50 from a wrecked e34 at the scrap yard today. wire harness was there but no ecu... how much?

Comment

Originally posted by Mot View Post
                              honestly, e36 IS longer. I have used both and have a e34 harness on my car, sure zipties work, but with the e36 harness you can use the 91 318iS dme holder above the glovebox. With my e34 harness, its a huge pain to use the s14 wiring harness cover in the engine bay and have a clean above glovebox install....
                              damn, we got the e34 harness... figured it would be easier to get everything from an e34 because the oil pan and such was already there, and the harness was in tact. so there's no way the harness will reach the ecu in stock e30 location?

Comment

Working...
                              X