Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to make my exhaust not sound like ass??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to make my exhaust not sound like ass??

Im running a m50 nonvanos with ebay headers, dual 2" piping all the way back no cats/resonators, with a stock e36 muffler, it sounds like a honda, quite frankly im borderline embarrased driving around.

soo what are my options. I really just want to get rid of the rasp. I was thinking about getting some random enginering high flow cats but im not sure. It sounds like i really need a resonator. A e36 midsection would be awesome but they are hard to get with the scrap price of cats being so high.

if i go cats or resonators who makes a nice affordable set, anyone with dual 2" in dual 2" out setups?

Just get a big single resonator. Merging the two pipes flow, helps to reduce/eliminate rasp. I am running the e36 Supersprint resonator.
    sigpic

Comment

i was thinking about doing a Y pipe from the headers to 2.5 inch then a borla or magnaflow high flow cat, then a resonator and to a single 2.5 inlet dual outlet borla xr muffler.

will that be enough or should i put another Y after the cat and do dual 2" into the muffler?

Comment

I dont like the sound of the setups that are running singles all the way back. I should get a clip of mine sometime today, its only been a year, lol.
        sigpic

Comment

it's because the cat or resonator help take that raspy edge off.

add either and it will help.
          Build : Das Drehmoment Ungeheuer

Comment

i have a sound clip in my buildup thread, im also running the e36 supersprint resonator and AA cat back, the resonator might be for sale, i cant pass emissions in canada with it.

Comment

let me know about the resonator, i would never be able to afford that stuff new, thats why i wanted to go the Y pipe, high flow cat, resonator and borla muffler route, i could have the whole setup under my car for around 400, which is what i would be paying for some of these companies resonators!

windsor PM me about how much you would want for it + shipping to 18015, also its dual 2" in dual 2" out correct?

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
                Just get a big single resonator. Merging the two pipes flow, helps to reduce/eliminate rasp. I am running the e36 Supersprint resonator.
                so perhaps do a Y after the headers into a big single 2.5" resonator then Y it out again to dual 2"

Comment

Originally posted by brandon11130 View Post
                  i was thinking about doing a Y pipe from the headers to 2.5 inch then a borla or magnaflow high flow cat, then a resonator and to a single 2.5 inlet dual outlet borla xr muffler.

will that be enough or should i put another Y after the cat and do dual 2" into the muffler?
                  Mine is very similar (maybe 2 1/4", can't remember) but ends with single in single out chambered muffler.

Way better than old exhaust and only a little rasp at high RPMs.

Comment

All this teasing and no sound clips.... :(

Comment

dont matter i dont have internet at home and my work computer has no speakers

Comment

The stainless steel headers you have on there add a bit of rasp as well since they are very thin wall steel. Switch out to OBDII headers that are heavy duty stainless steel and put in a large resonator and it will be nice and quiet. The entire area of the exhaust under the driveshaft is a perfect place for a long resonator to sit. I ran OBDII headers on OBDI midesection and E36 m3 muffler for 2 years and it sounded just like my friends stock e36 m3. It was great as a street car, a perfect sleeper. Once you go to SS piping it will be hard to eliminate the rasp, it is a part of what you get with SS

Comment

Cat won't help much with the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by deansbimmer View Post
                            All this teasing and no sound clips.... :(
                            I ran your motor (m52) with obd2 manis, e36 obd1 mid pipes with all the cats, and a UUC SystemU catback and had no issues with rasp what so ever. sorry no sound clips though. well i do, but its from inside the car and alls you hear is massive intake noise. lol, lemme know if you want to hear that though :)

Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
                            The stainless steel headers you have on there add a bit of rasp as well since they are very thin wall steel. Switch out to OBDII headers that are heavy duty stainless steel and put in a large resonator and it will be nice and quiet. The entire area of the exhaust under the driveshaft is a perfect place for a long resonator to sit. I ran OBDII headers on OBDI midesection and E36 m3 muffler for 2 years and it sounded just like my friends stock e36 m3. It was great as a street car, a perfect sleeper. Once you go to SS piping it will be hard to eliminate the rasp, it is a part of what you get with SS
                            i strongly disagree. the ebay headers the OP states he is running sound fine. and rasp does not increase if you run the supersprint mids. if anything it decreases. e30groupie is running headers, supersprint mids and the systemU cat back and there is ZERO rasp. only rumble and pure motor wail at WOT and great sounding pops and more rumbling off throttle while winding down.

Comment

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
                              I ran your motor (m52) with obd2 manis, e36 obd1 mid pipes with all the cats, and a UUC SystemU catback and had no issues with rasp what so ever. sorry no sound clips though. well i do, but its from inside the car and alls you hear is massive intake noise. lol, lemme know if you want to hear that though :)
                              Hell yeah, you should get some vids going..You made a thread about the install somewhere IIRC... Running strong?

Comment

Working...
                              X