Timing sprockets not lining up properly. S52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing sprockets not lining up properly. S52

So, trying to do the timing tonight. I have the camshaft holding tool installed, with the 2 dots on each camshaft pointing up. The primary tensioner tool is also installed. I'm trying to install the cam-to-cam chain and sprockets and can't get the mounting holes and studs to sit at the center of the slots on the sprockets. Is this normal?

When I have the studs at the center of the slots on the intake sprocket, the holes on the exhaust sprocket don't end up in the middle of the slots.

Pictures:

Studs at center of slots on intake sprocket:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07407.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	7210529

Mounting holes NOT at the center of the exhaust sprocket.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07405.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	7210530

If I move the chain over 1 tooth, the mounting holes on the exhaust sprocket end up still a little off-center, but in the other direction.

Thoughts?

It is natural for them to be more to the left side of that hole. Not centered, especially when you have the tensioner in correctly. Read the document below. Walks you through the install of cam gears and vanos. Sounds like you will be starting on about page 9.

sigpic

Comment

What are the arrows for?? The pelican article says they should be pointed up, Dr.Vanos says they should be horizontal...

Do you know if the pistons/valves can come in contact if the sprocket rotated. I did not have the exhaust sprocket torqued and was hand spinning the engine and I noticed it moved. I did not feel anything but I am paranoid that I could have messed something up.

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
        It is natural for them to be more to the left side of that hole. Not centered, especially when you have the tensioner in correctly. Read the document below. Walks you through the install of cam gears and vanos. Sounds like you will be starting on about page 9.

http://www.drvanos.com/docs/stage2.pdf
        I'm actually talking about the sprocket that goes in front of the one pictured in that article. Still a good read though.

The bentley and pelican books both say to have that larger main sprocket with the holes all the way to the left of the slots. I don't get it. Could it be that they're trying to prevent the main sprocket from rotating clockwise if the screws ever come lose?

Has anyone noticed my problem when timing their cams?

Comment

That article and the Pelican article are idiot proof. Keep reading.
          sigpic

Comment

Duh. It makes sense. I didn't read the whole thing 'cause I had to run out to get to work. It looks like the whole point of it is to make sure the sprockets can move throughout the whole range of the slots while being connected by the chain.

Thanks!

Comment

eh...mine lined up straight. but yah, they should be able to move the full range.
              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Working...
              X