did i swap the right temp sensor?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1991 e30 bmw 318is
    replied
    Originally posted by Fidhle007
    It's very accurate. Seriously, just fix it.

    ya i well, as soon as i figure out how...

    Leave a comment:


  • Fidhle007
    replied
    It's very accurate. Seriously, just fix it.

    Leave a comment:


  • 1991 e30 bmw 318is
    replied
    Originally posted by jakeb
    There are two sensors....one for the dme and one for the gauge. Do you have the wiring right? You might be able to ground the wire going to the gauge and it should peg to full hot... Maybe someone can confirm this. If so then run a wire from the plug that goes to that temp sensor ground it and turn the key...the temp gauge should peg, if it doesn't you have a wiring issue.

    Don't just get a after market gauge....fix the real problem

    ill try this as soon as it's nicer out so i can get the car out side to let it run. so I put the sensor from my m42 back in, its the one in the front of the car right...... Then ground the wire that plugs into the sensor, there are 2 wires there so do I ground one of them? then what with the other?

    if i can get it working i guess it will save me $ I just didn't know how accurate it was going to be. .



    Thanks Jeremy

    Leave a comment:


  • Fidhle007
    replied
    Try the m20 sensor and see what happens. It should be a single prong sensor, don't worry about the fact that the plug is for a two prong it will still function.

    Leave a comment:


  • jakeb
    replied
    Yeah the stock gauge is good.....it works the same way as an after market gauge other than it doesn't have any numbers. needle moves to the right...coolant = hotter, needle to the left coolant = colder.

    Have you tested the wiring like I suggested? Have you even let the car run all that long with open headers? They do take awhile to warm up, expecially when idling.

    Man now I understand r3v.....

    Don't be a bad PO

    Leave a comment:


  • 2002maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by 1991 e30 bmw 318is
    I did not try that. I'm just going to get a real temp gauge....
    why not just fix it? There's nothing wrong with the stock guage.

    Leave a comment:


  • platanos
    replied
    Which sensor is needed for an s52 swap?

    Leave a comment:


  • rThor432
    replied
    Originally posted by 1991 e30 bmw 318is
    I did not try that. I'm just going to get a real temp gauge....
    You should get the stock one to work. From my experience it seems to be very accurate. Just because it doesnt have numbers doesnt make it bad.

    The difference of 4 degrees Celsius is about a the difference of being slightly to the left or slightly to the right of the center needle on the stock guage-- it's a noticeable difference.

    Leave a comment:


  • gazellebeigem3
    replied
    Originally posted by hugh jass
    please change your vanos line
    hahahaha pm on a motor swap?? never! dont be such a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles carly

    Leave a comment:


  • 1991 e30 bmw 318is
    replied
    Originally posted by 2002maniac
    Did you ground the plug to see if the guage pegs red? If it doesn't your wiring is wrong.

    I did not try that. I'm just going to get a real temp gauge....

    Leave a comment:


  • hugh jass
    replied
    please change your vanos line

    Leave a comment:


  • 2002maniac
    replied
    Did you ground the plug to see if the guage pegs red? If it doesn't your wiring is wrong.

    Leave a comment:


  • 1991 e30 bmw 318is
    replied
    i just put the stock m50 sensor back in. I would like to get a real temp gauge instead of the stock set up. just so I have some #'s to go by instead of the idiot gauge. I have the TB heater hoses off the throttle body and they are just looped if i put a block in there for a temp sensor to go in will it be accurate? if so this would be a very easy way to do it....

    Leave a comment:


  • rThor432
    replied
    Originally posted by jakeb
    Maybe someone can confirm this.
    Yes, if you ground the plug that goes to the sensor it should peg red. If it doesnt, there is a problem in the wiring. If it does, you likely have a bad sensor.

    Leave a comment:


  • jakeb
    replied
    There are two sensors....one for the dme and one for the gauge. Do you have the wiring right? You might be able to ground the wire going to the gauge and it should peg to full hot... Maybe someone can confirm this. If so then run a wire from the plug that goes to that temp sensor ground it and turn the key...the temp gauge should peg, if it doesn't you have a wiring issue.

    Don't just get a after market gauge....fix the real problem

    Leave a comment:

Working...