No announcement yet.

S52 Excessive oil Burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My advice to anyone reading this thread. Check your cylinders for any deformation before slapping on new rings. Surprised to see this with an iron block, but my motor just had valve guide seals replaced and while the smoking got better, it was still there on throttle blip. Tore down the motor last night and surprised that after only 30 minutes of total run time, the freshly honed crosshatching was worn down on outside walls of the block. Either the rings needed to do more cutting or the cylinders need to be re-bored. Compression was 170-175-180 accross the board. This sucks....

Last edited by dmanb2b; 10-03-2019, 07:00 AM.
    1991 318is
    2004 330ci
    2011 335d

Comment

Jeez that’s bad, a BMW specific shop had my block apart and didn’t mention anything out of the ordinary when the first go around happened. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
      84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Originally posted by ZEKTI View Post
        Jeez that’s bad, a BMW specific shop had my block apart and didn’t mention anything out of the ordinary when the first go around happened. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Yeah..my shop has done at least 10 s5x swaps and rebuilt at least double that. They haven't seen this before with a s52 block...should have verdict from machine shop later today.
        1991 318is
        2004 330ci
        2011 335d

Comment

My experience at this level is limited, but would the block need line bored at this point? I can't imagine the crankshaft being warped. Did you go with Mahle rings?
          OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
          84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Originally posted by ZEKTI View Post
            My experience at this level is limited, but would the block need line bored at this point? I can't imagine the crankshaft being warped. Did you go with Mahle rings?
            Well, sort of good news but adding to mystery. Machine shop checked both crankshaft and trueness of cylinders and nothing is out of range. New rings arrive today...I do believe they are Mahle, but need to confirm with shop. Even the wear marks on all 6 cyl, they aren't gouges or anything you can catch your fingernail on, we can only deduct it was a bad set or combo of rings. If re-ringing doesn't fix this, I am just going to save up and buy a s54.
            Last edited by dmanb2b; 10-03-2019, 09:52 AM.
            1991 318is
            2004 330ci
            2011 335d

Comment

You are making very fast progress. In for results. You just going to ballhone and rering?

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
                You are making very fast progress. In for results. You just going to ballhone and rering?
                Sorry for the delayed reply...valve stem seals, light ballhone and re-ring = success

1991 318is
                2004 330ci
                2011 335d

Comment

NICE! Happy it's fixed. Let us know if that continues over the next hundred or so miles. Mine is still in the shop, not on their priority list but I'll update once I have feedback as well.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
                  OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                  84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

That was fast. Yah in for updates that's awesome. Might be doing the same thing since winter just started. Did you leave the engine in the car when you did this? I would most likely pull it.

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
                      That was fast. Yah in for updates that's awesome. Might be doing the same thing since winter just started. Did you leave the engine in the car when you did this? I would most likely pull it.
                      Yeah, luckily for me car is at a shop that builds 10-15 m/s5x a year...sometimes you make a bad judgement call or just get a bad part. I covered the additional parts (valve seals and labor, rings and gaskets) and the shop covered the labor to tear it back down again and rebuild ;>)

1991 318is
                      2004 330ci
                      2011 335d

Comment

Well my issue is valve stem seals. If left sat spark plugs wet. Can see dripping down. Semi easy fix. Debating on upgrading the springs Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                        84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Working...
                        X