No announcement yet.

e30 m50 swap problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't really understand what is going on in that video..
    Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
    Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
    Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

me either :) lol

I'm gonna see if I can get to a shop this week to get a code read out.

Comment

Seriously? Don't do it.

Let me get a Mspaint drawing for you.
        Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Originally posted by jrdeamicis View Post
          Seriously? Don't do it.

Let me get a Mspaint drawing for you.

I had also ordered a code reader interface off this one guy that sells a kit a couple weeks ago, but he takes around a month or 2 get them out for some reason...

you can also use it to reprogram the ecu if you have the right software, so I'm waiting on that to come in.

Comment

Are you OBD1 or 2? Does it use the Diagnostic port? Having a shop read your CEL also is going to be tough, they are going to do the same thing you are doing, just decipher the flashing.

The long pause is the break between the numbers for example if the code is 1 2 2 4

It would be Short LONG short short LONG short short LONG short short short short
            (1) (Break) (1) + (1) (break) (1) + (1) (break) (1) + (1) + (1) + (1)
            Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Originally posted by jrdeamicis View Post
              Are you OBD1 or 2? Does it use the Diagnostic port? Having a shop read your CEL also is going to be tough, they are going to do the same thing you are doing, just decipher the flashing.

The long pause is the break between the numbers for example if the code is 1 2 2 4

It would be Short LONG short short LONG short short LONG short short short short

OBD1 with a 20 pin diagnostic port... the one place has a reader, not sure if it's a GT1 but it'll read out the code number and what it is...

I ordered this: http://ecubb.bmwecu.org/board/viewto...540db612c03bb3

and I'm still waiting on it...

Comment

I screwed up trying to describe that.

The Break is NO continuity. Continuity equals a CEL

It would be Short BREAK short short BREAK short short BREAK short short short short
                Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

took it to the guy today, he was nice enough to read it out to me for free..

thankfully, it's only the speed sensor... so now I just need to figure where on the cluster to take it from.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Any help on this? The vehicle speed sensor is the code that is being thrown... I connected a wire from pin 14 on the m50 side to the pins on the green port for the cluster... I haven't reset the computer assuming it would go away by itself... any feedback? also which pin on the green port on the cluster should I connect it to?

my speed worked with out this using it's signal from the e30 diff... also I have the rpm pin on the m50 harness connected to the cluster in the back (i think pin 17 on the blue connector for the cluster)...

please help...

Thanks

Comment

There are three two pin connectors along the side of the green connector housing, each having one pin installed. Those are the VSS outputs.

If you have access to a parts car with cruise, there is a wire that runs from that plug to the DME area. Probably would be the cleanest way.

BTW, I'm buying a scan tool (snap-on mt2500) and software to use on my swap, you are more than welcome to use it as well.
                      -Dave
                      2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Thanks Dave...

I got it scanned, it's the speed sensor... I ran a wire to the speed sensor but I'm gonna take another look at the back of the cluster... in the one long thread on here I found a guy connecting it to pin 2 on the green connector, so I have to see if pin 2 is labelled on the port...

Comment

got it working :D

figured out which would give me the signal for the speed sensor and it's all good... redlines in gear easily now...

though I might have a little bit of a milkshake machine, hopefully not... I'll see at the next oil change...

Comment

bump this up. I think my dme is not getting a vehicle speed signal, putting me into limp mode.

What needs to be connected to remedy this?
                            S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
                            What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
                            Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

I pulled the speed signal from my gauge cluster to my harness adapter and that took care of it... if you look on the back of your cluster, there are three prongs on the green port, I think any one of the three would work and just run a wire for the prong to the speed signal pin...

Comment

They all are the same. Usually, there's a plug coming off of it that is used for the cruise control. On mine, I wired a cruise control wire I got from a yard to Pin 14 for the speed sensor issue. On late models I believe it goes through the C101.

As for the stomp test, it's about 100% easier to wire your CEL wire to the wire in the cluster so you don't have to bother with the multimeter. Trying to read that thing was nuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X