Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help getting M50 to run! Crank no start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help getting M50 to run! Crank no start!

M50 swap is in but it won’t start! It just cranks.

Build thread:
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/general-forums/members-rides/the-project-forum/9870060-my-325e-3-part-2

I need some help ASAP! I have to get it to the shop running so they can put the exhaust in.

Anyone local to Casco can help?

Info:
    -87 325e w/ m50, all new everything
    -413 DME red label, was working when motor wa pulled
    -condor harness adapter for 87 325e
    -mpg fix box (adjust pulse width to match OBC/mpg gauge
    -e30 starter cable
    -upgraded NEW main grounds and alternator cable
    -new 140a alternator
    -m20 starter +single mass flywheel, new clutch /e21 TOB
    -e28 535 radiator w/ stock "2 fan sensors", no resistor (never had one)
    -"custom" e36 aux fan wired in for fan delete (might run e36 diesel fan/clutch if aux fan does not behave
    -80c thermostat w/ 82 degree fan switch (not yet installed)
    -new silicone vaccum hoses
    -new bimmerworld upper rad hose
    -bimmerworld intake boot
    "hot air" cone filter

Checked so far:

Grounds:
    Starter, Main Relays, Injectors, Coils, Main ground to chassis via control arm, strut tower ground. I get continuity to the block from each point.

Other:
    ICV hums
    12v at pump
    oil level is not low
    has coolant needs more once running

Need to Test:
    -fuel flow from pump after filter ?
    -injectors firing ?
    -spark ?

Other:
    -cam / crank sensor mismatch?
    -c104 wires:
    -vss to back of cluster is good.
    -injector pulse could be wrong, I could have tapped into other wires
    sigpic
    1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
    I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Check the resistance on your crank position sensor, won't fire if that is bad. You're looking for roughly 550ohms, I believe between pins 1 and 2.

I've seen people say that they can also be switched with the cam position sensor, however the connectors are different on my harness so I'm not sure on that one.
    WNY e30 Group on FB, feel free to join if you're from the area!

@mriterphoto on instagram

"Being airborne in an e30 is one of the worst ideas that I've done more than a couple dozen times"

me-"I've got one of those rare 7cyl low-comp S62's"
    MattAvino- "Those aren't rare"

Comment

Tested:

-Fuel after filter and pump primes fuel
      -injectors fire and squirt fuel
      -have spark when grounding plug/coil

Checked:

-MAF directions (arrow points into intake)
      -Fuel pump has 12v power
      -main relays all have power and click when key is turned
      -ICV hums with key in

Tried removing "spark plug cap" that screws on to see if installed wrong. do not feel any click with or without "cap". Not sure on this one, I can't remember what the plugs were when I pulled them out.

Tried starting a few more times, heard a lout pop and saw some smoke. The top ICV hose blew out of the back of the manifold. Not sure whats happening there.

Gna check fuel pressure at filter and then at rail. Should be like 50 psi or so?
      sigpic
      1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Comment

Originally posted by brainfood View Post
        Check the resistance on your crank position sensor, won't fire if that is bad. You're looking for roughly 550ohms, I believe between pins 1 and 2. I've seen people say that they can also be switched with the cam position sensor, however the connectors are different on my harness so I'm not sure on that one.
        Checked CPS and it ohms to roughly 500ohm or just under. Auto range on multimeter reads .498 Mohm. Harness side of CPS appears to be correctly plugged in as there is a 5v ref signal. I tested the pin out from the ecu connector and that plug had continuity. Not sure how to check Cam position sensor, can’t find resistance value. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        sigpic

Comment

Car started up. it was the injector grounds. The wire was on the front of the bracket and the bolt going into the Vanos unit was not grounded to the block. I moved the wire to the block side of the bracket and it fired right up! I could have sworn it was good when I tested it. Specifically the bolt itself is not grounded, but everything around it is!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by itsonlygeorge View Post
            Car started up. it was the injector grounds. The wire was on the front of the bracket and the bolt going into the Vanos unit was not grounded to the block. I moved the wire to the block side of the bracket and it fired right up! I could have sworn it was good when I tested it. Specifically the bolt itself is not grounded, but everything around it is!
            Dude i was about to say that! Happened to me some months ago while i sonic cleared the injectors... After bolt everything up and tried to turn the engine on,it wouldn't start....checked everything as you,i disappointed,thought that i destroy something... suddenly i saw the ground wire of injectors just hanging around...hahaha glad you found a solution mate!
            Instagram

Comment

I recently solved almost the same issue on one of my cars, I tried swapping the ground to the inside like you said and it didn't make a difference, then I remebered I never tested to make sure it was actually Ohm'd out correctly, and found out that wasn't the case. Ended up discovering there's a resistor in the ground harness that was cracked and not letting current through, spliced another one in and she fired right up! There's 8+ hours of diag that could have been avoided if I didn't forget to check that resistance the first time. Oh well, live and learn.

"Being airborne in an e30 is one of the worst ideas that I've done more than a couple dozen times"

Comment

I recently solved almost the same issue on one of my cars, I tried swapping the ground to the inside like you said and it didn't make a difference, then I remebered I never tested to make sure it was actually Ohm'd out correctly, and found out that wasn't the case. Ended up discovering there's a resistor in the ground harness that was cracked and not letting current through, spliced another one in and she fired right up! There's 8+ hours of diag that could have been avoided if I didn't forget to check that resistance the first time. Oh well, live and learn.

Comment

What is the location of this resistor? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X