steering linkage to oil pan interference with s52 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering linkage to oil pan interference with s52 swap

I purchased the motor and a majority of the components for my S52 swap as a complete package from another member on here. I finally got the motor in last weekend but now that I'm buttoning things up I'm running into a major problem. The steering linkage hits the oil pan.

The setup is:
    • Late model airbag e30
    • S52 motor
    • Arc Asylum subframe
    • Arc Asylum oilpan
    • Revshift 24v motor mounts
    • Garagistic e30 HD trans mounts (I feel like these may be e21 mounts?)
    • Stock e36 motor arms
    • E36 M3 steering rack
    • Stock e30 steering linkage with IE poly guibo
    • Modified firewall to allow linkage to line up correctly
    It also appears that the motor is sitting too far forward (or something's up with the shift linkage?), as when the trans is in neutral the shifter is way too far forward.

Last edited by dadsbmw; 12-14-2019, 06:43 PM.
    2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
    1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
    1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

It's a little tough to tell in the pictures, but is the steering linkage to oil pan interference extra severe? I ask because Flaming River, Vorshlag, and Condor sell u-joint assemblies that are smaller than the factory setup (popular with the V8 swaps to clear the header arrangement). Otherwise I wonder if the e36 rack is causing the interference with the modded e36 rear sump pan, since the steering linkage has moved closer towards the center of the car (hence the firewall modification).

I took a look at my own 24v car with an e36 rack for reference, and the front sump setup of the e34 pan has plenty of clearance in that area, so there's always the option of swapping out the oil pan for the e34 setup.

As for the shifter, it looks like the shift lever is 180 degrees off. If you undo the clip for the selector rod, you should be able to spin the lever around so the bend points towards the rear, then the shifter should be in the factory orientation.

Hopefully this helps!

Comment

Thanks for the response!

I realized the shifter situation this morning when I was looking at how I could have messed up. I flipped it 180* and it's certainly better, but still pretty far forward... 5th gear may be tough to get into.

As for the steering linkage, I ended up removing the steering rack and doing a bit of trimming to the oil pan dipstick lip, as that was the main culprit. It helped but still has some interference. I'm now trying to decide if I want to trim some more, or go with a Sikky steering linkage setup, as suggested. The Sikky linkage would definitely solve the problem, but it's a $250 fix and will bring more NVH into my steering setup.I'm gonna see if I cant fix it with a bit more trimming, and if not, just bite the bullet and order the aftermarket linkage.

I've actually got an e34 pan with baffle I can use, but removing the current oil pan is not on the list of things I want to do! Plus the rear sump provides SO much pan protection...
      1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
      1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

After doing some reading today I've come across a few threads indicating that the Revshift mounts may sit slightly different than mounts from other aftermarket vendors and in particular may sit farther forward. If this is true, I think it may be the reason for the lack of clearance between my steering linkage and oilpan. I'd also note that despite having a ~0.5" adapter sitting between the trans output shaft and e36 guibo, the driveshaft center support bearing still sits at the very front of it's slotted mounting holes (and is even under tension). As mentioned in this thread as well, the shifter also seems to sit too far forward and I foresee issues going into R,1,3,5. I also wonder if I'll have issues fitting the stock radiator and SPAL fan in a puller arrangement. I don't imagine anyone has any experience in this reguard.
        Last edited by dadsbmw; 12-16-2019, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I have the revshift mounts in my S54 swapped E30 and I did not have this issue. I don't understand how the engine mounts would position the engine farther forward. Are you sure your engine mount arms are from an E36?

Was your shifter lever just backward?

My CSB was slightly under tension as well with a ZF 5spd and E36 driveshaft. I don't see why you would need spacers at the guibo though. Can't you extend the driveshaft slightly on the splines?

Comment

Originally posted by R3VM3UP View Post
            I have the revshift mounts in my S54 swapped E30 and I did not have this issue. I don't understand how the engine mounts would position the engine farther forward. Are you sure your engine mount arms are from an E36?
            I'm not sure if the mounts position the engine farther forward, that's a question I'm asking. As far as I'm aware the engine arms are from an e36.

Was your shifter lever just backward?
            Originally the shift lever was indeed installed backwards, but since has been flipped it still seems further forward than is comfortable.

My CSB was slightly under tension as well with a ZF 5spd and E36 driveshaft. I don't see why you would need spacers at the guibo though. Can't you extend the driveshaft slightly on the splines?
            I don't need spacers in the drivetrain, I'm using an adapter to mount the e36 guibo to the e30 driveshaft. As a result this adapter adds about 0.5" of length to the engine/trans setup, yet the CSB still sits as far forward as it can.

I will note that I mounted the radiator and puller SPAL 16" fan today and although it's tight (as would be expected), it fits.

I've ended up grinding the oil pan and buying low profile fastener situation to get the clearance between the oil pan and linkage.

Comment

Working...
            X