Headers and Exhaust for the S52- Rasp Reduction and Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headers and Exhaust for the S52- Rasp Reduction and Compatibility

I currently have OB2 headers mated to an OBD1 (unfortunately) mid-pipe. I'd planned on keeping this setup, mainly because I generally cannot stand raspy exhaust, and particularly because IMO headers usually RUIN the note of an exhaust system. The current stock setup gives me a pretty low rumble, which I quite enjoy, but of course the itch never stops.

I've been planning on upgrading the mid-pipe and rear muffler to something slightly more free flowing and larger diameter, but while doing research I stumbled upon Raceland headers. Specifically, I've heard a few times now that they're made of thick gauge piping and don't have the usually raspy characteristics of most aftermarket headers. This opened up a few more options and I'm now considering Supersprint knockoff headers (Raceland or Ebay) mated to a genuine Supersprint mid-pipe. In my mind the perfect setup would be Raceland headers with the Supersprint mid-pipe, but looking at pictures, they do not appear to be compatible without modification (one being 2 bolt flange, the other being slip fit). On the flip side, the ebay knock off version of Supersprints appear to definitely be compatible with the genuine Supersprint midpipe, but in my mind are questionable quality and still may not be direct bolt up.

My questions are these:
    • What gauge piping are Raceland headers made from?
    • People with Ebay knockoff Supersprint headers- any thoughts on gauge of their piping? Raspiness?
    • Do the Ebay knockoff Supersprint headers actually fit up to a genuine Supersprint mid-pipe?
    • How far off are the Raceland outlets from the Supersprint mid-pipe inlets?
    I understand these are super specific questions, but hoping with some in put an answer can be pieced together. Appreciate any help you all can provide!
    2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
    1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
    1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

So I've made a small amount of headway on this question. The "street" Supersprint mid-pipe (basically replaced the cat section with a muffler) sits at ~2.0" x 2 inlet and 1 7/8" x 2 outlet, assumingly in order to fit a stock exhaust. So that would suggest that at least the "street" version of the exhaust will not work with ebay or Raceland headers.
    2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
    1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
    1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

Working...
    X