Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camshaft angle sensor

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding M52 camshaft angle sensor in M52B28 swapped E30 sedan.
    I scanned my engine and it shows an error message saying that there is a problem with the sensor. I tried scanning with a different scanner and it is still showing up. My car feels completely fine. Power is still there, engine is smooth. Okay, a few days ago I feel there's a bit of misfire. But it seems to go away on its own. Here are my questions:

1. Why is the scanner showing an error message while the engine does not show any bad signs.?
    ​​​​​​2. Can faulty cam sensor cause an intermittent misfire?
    3. Can a cam sensor failure cause an engine failure?

Thanks guys
    ​​​​

In my experience - yes. The wiring degrades inside the cam sensor harness and in the early stages can create an intermittent fault. The car will continue to run OK off of the crank sensor but you might experience high idle or an intermittent misfire.

Worst case this can lead to the DME getting damaged from the wires shorting. On my M52 I could get the fault to repeat by putting pressure on the wire where it entered the plastic outer jacket of the sensor housing. I chose to go with an OE BMW sensor due to all the issues folks have had with aftermarket. VDO/SIemens is the OEM and folks have had mixed luck with them, mostly good luck, so that is an option too.

More info here for future reference:

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
      In my experience - yes. The wiring degrades inside the cam sensor harness and in the early stages can create an intermittent fault. The car will continue to run OK off of the crank sensor but you might experience high idle or an intermittent misfire. Worst case this can lead to the DME getting damaged from the wires shorting. On my M52 I could get the fault to repeat by putting pressure on the wire where it entered the plastic outer jacket of the sensor housing. I chose to go with an OE BMW sensor due to all the issues folks have had with aftermarket. VDO/SIemens is the OEM and folks have had mixed luck with them, mostly good luck, so that is an option too. More info here for future reference: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...wiring-harness MJ
      Thanks for the info. I think I'll replace it then to avoid future probs Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X