S50 Swap - Windage Tray Specifics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 Swap - Windage Tray Specifics

So, I have been looking everywhere to see what is the ideal way to manage the windage tray for a S50 swap.
    Every thread have different opinions, and mostly reference M52 and S52 engines.

There are two different E34/M50 oil pans, early with the riveted in windage tray, and the later M50TU with the separate tray that bolts to the block.

I know with the later separate pan/tray, you cannot use the M50tu tray on the s50 due to the bolts scraping the pan.

So. Is it better to use the later M50TU pan without the integrated tray, and the stock S50 windage tray since they are both vanos engine, or the early non Vanos M50 pan with built in tray, and remove the stock S50 tray, due to the different location of the oil pickup.

Thanks.
    '65 230SL '73 450SL '91 500SL '87 325is '90 M3 '98 M3

bump. I have a e34 NV pan with rivet on windage tray, and I am looking to swap in an m52. I'm thinking it would be better to run the e34 windage tray as its designed for a front sump oil pan. Im not sure though. looking to hear peoples opinions

Comment

use the late pan with the windage tray that matches your engine. you will have clearance issues otherwise (as you already mentioned).
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
      X