Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30 M3 S54 Swap Complete! Lots of details..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
    Labor- unless you can do all the fab required, and wiring yourself. We hit just under 12k in parts about 18k if you figure in labor swapping an s54 into an e36 and an e30 requires a little more fab work.

Shops that can do this level of swap well generally have $100 an hour labor rates so it adds up pretty quick.
    I didn't realize there was that much fab work. I thought the e34 pan bolted on and the whole thing sat much like an m/s5x. Which would mean any regular 24v swap shit would work, and there really isn't THAT much for that.

I must be mistaken at the level of fab work thats needed... seeing as how a regular 24v swap requires just about none.
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post
      I didn't realize there was that much fab work. I thought the e34 pan bolted on and the whole thing sat much like an m/s5x. Which would mean any regular 24v swap shit would work, and there really isn't THAT much for that.

I must be mistaken at the level of fab work thats needed... seeing as how a regular 24v swap requires just about none.
      Does this look like an e34 oilpan? how about the subframe? No brake booster worth a damn will clear the manifold. when parts aren't available off the shelf they have to be fabbed and that adds up quick if you can't do it yourself. Once made though they can usually be duplicated and resold so that others can follow in your footsteps.

Comment

Originally posted by GCMARK View Post
        You know Ryan, he does it right!

Tall mounts are installed, but he's running 4" eleventymillion pound springs back there.

The first place car was a PURPLE, or something near, E46 FTL.
        Originally posted by M3 Ryan View Post
        You guys crack me up....
        I appreciate all the feedback!! The car was a lot of work but it's so worth it. Now that I'm starting my new shop I probably won't have much time to play with this so I'm glad its finished and I can enjoy driving it. First place car was a JOKE... E46 330i Purple with CHROME brake Calipers and stereo crap everywhere... quite a shame....
        Gross, I saw that purple e46 trotting around with a big trophy in his passenger seat later on the day. I can't believe that thing won 1st? wth?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Yeah, it would have gone over better at Hot Import Nights or NOPI LOL...just slap a F&F wing on and you're good.
          Suspension tips here...
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

The motor/trnas sell for like 5gs. I just don't see where the other 15 grand comes from... if someone were to sell wiring kits for a few grand I think it would be a 10k swap.

Well for one, that intake manifold cost more than my car.

Also, it was good seeing you Ryan! Glad you didn't take the sissy route and trailer it down ;)

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
              Labor- unless you can do all the fab required, and wiring yourself. We hit just under 12k in parts about 18k if you figure in labor swapping an s54 into an e36 and an e30 requires a little more fab work.

Shops that can do this level of swap well generally have $100 an hour labor rates so it adds up pretty quick.
              Thank you.
              I charge $100/hr in my shop.
              You guys have to realize that just the airbox on this engine retails for over $3k... There are a lot of mods on this setup that woudn't necessarily have to be done, but much of the fab work MUST be no matter what.
              Sure you can buy an E34 oil pan and slap it on there and use a getrag 260. If you don't like longevity and reliability it could surely be cheaper than $20k.
              If you want this setup in your car as I have it in mine, it is going to cost you AT LEAST $20k for me to do it. You drop it off and I'll make it happen.

Keep in mind that the exhaust alone is at a MINIMUM $1k no matter which way you go since it has to fit properly and clearance everything...
              This isn't even a BAR legal swap. I'm plating the car with dealer plates to get around the smog issue. If you wanted a legal swap there would be a HUGE price tag in California.... Getting a stock ECU to fully function is a lot of $$$...
              '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
              '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
              '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
              iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mlarsen View Post
                how the hell did this only get 2nd place?! That car is sex on wheels!
                For REAL

Comment

Originally posted by GCMARK View Post
                  But good give you goosebumps like a racecar kinda loud.

That trip musta been hell:firehop:
                  I added a Magnapack muffler to the center section but it's still really loud... Might have wanted ear plugs on the ride home. The way there we were just so giddy with excitement that it didn't matter if a jet engine was exhausting into the cabin. Cloud nine isn't reality based... :drink:
                  '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
                  '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
                  '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
                  iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
                  sigpic

Comment

Interesting, I had no idea.
                    Originally posted by z31maniac
                    I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Wowzer!! That is the most amazing thing ever almost as good as a vagina... and that's saying something!

Comment

Interesting, I had no idea.
                        It's ok many people don't realize how much work goes into a swap of this caliber. Ask anyone who claims it can be done drastically cheaper how many s54 swaps they've already done and have running. ;) I can still count the all the professional BMW shops that have emissions compliant s54swaps running, on my fingers. It's a long way from happening in most home garages just yet.

Anyone who's completed a beautifully orchestrated swap like Ryan's is either a meticulous BMW technician themselves, or hired one to do the work for them.

Comment

Fantastic work!
                          95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                          Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                          LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Seriously if i some how come across oodles of money im having you help build my pro-am/d1 car!

Amazing work my friend, i really like the detail you put into every aspect of the car. A true BMW tuner!
                            sigpic

Comment

that is insanely awesome!! Congrats!!
                              sigpic
                              1991 318is S52
                              1987 325i Vert
                              1991 325i
                              2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

20k is cheap.

Well done Ryan. When are you moving to Finland?
                                sigpic
                                New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                                %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Working...
                                X