Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s54b32 block/head pre-swap checklist and recommendations

so i have stripped down the s54 engine and taken off the cylinder head

i have noticed that the cast iron block is rusting to shit on the bottom slowly moving upwards , the paint is pealing off so my questions and as a discussion goes

after i wire brush the rust and chip off the paint, is it worth taking the time to some how grind down a thing layer of the block before preparing it for the next stage (paint)? if so any recommendations on this (like acid wash for example)

the block will be running probably a gt55 turbo hence alot of stress and high heat, what paint is recommended or other methods so as to sustain longevity and prevent current rusting or what has already taken place (the pealing of paint)

any thing i may have missed so as per preparation of the bottom block, it is to not only going to sit around for a month or two while parts are sourced, but also i am hoping to get it darton sleeved before the forged rod/piston kit. Leaving it on an engine stand for that long will it do damage ?

and anything i may have missed applied to the head which is not cast iron, :puppy:

proper way of removing old paint from the block is sand blasting. I wouldn't waste my time with that, if you don't live near ocean the block will not rust any further.

S54 block has a oil pressure valve that tends to leak, new one will be recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
      proper way of removing old paint from the block is sand blasting. I wouldn't waste my time with that, if you don't live near ocean the block will not rust any further.

S54 block has a oil pressure valve that tends to leak, new one will be recommended.
      well good news is good news ;) had a beer with a contractor of mine he mentioned he had a sandblaster , after a couple more im able to borrow it next week , all i have to do is buy a nozzle and purchase the sand (or glass)

i have never done it before but im sure he will set me up since were in each others good books

next step he recommended a shop for sleeving so ill have to get a hold of a specific person there hopefully this shop will do it while others i have contacted locally with no luck

ps thanks for the heads up on the oil pressure valve ill replace it.

Comment

forgot to mention, my contractor friend said NOT TO WIREBRUSH THE BLOCK

he said all that will accomplish is polish off the rust and if you paint it the rust will simply chip off again

Comment

Working...
        X