Rod bearing question on s54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm prepping the motor and I wanted to ask about the rod bearing lubrication.

I plan on doing these in the near future I already have them and I'm just waiting for the torque angle guage to get here.

My question is if I change these bearings but wait about a month to actually start the engine with oil, will that be ok?
    Or should I wait to do them until right before dropping in the motor?

I'll have the pan off to send it to be modified and wanted to wrap em up and put the pan back on then drop the motor in and button everything up.

Also what kind of lube would yall recommend? Just the standard assembly lube?

I used Redline Assembly lube when I did mine. Mine sat for a month or so after I did the bearings, just make sure you really wrap it up well if you don't have the pan on it.
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
      I used Redline Assembly lube when I did mine. Mine sat for a month or so after I did the bearings, just make sure you really wrap it up well if you don't have the pan on it.
      This. They can sit for as long as you want so long as they're insulated from the environment.

Comment

"Waiting for torque angle gauge" means to me you are using stock rod bolts. I would spring the extra bucks and get ARP rod bolts.

Comment

What exactly is the difference?

Comment

A more robust bolt that is less likely to fail.

Comment

So are you also Saying that arp rod Bolts don't need to use a torque angle gauge?

I thought the early e46 rod bolts are just find and reusable? Any special precautions to reuse the factory bolts?

Comment

Yes, ARP rod bolts are torqued to a value not an angle. I would not reuse stock rod bolts. ARP rod bolts are reusable.

Comment

I am considering this... Anyone else have a recommendation

Comment

Get the ARP bolts but get a rod bolt stretch gauge (probably available for a reasonable price on ebay). If you're serious about bolts, measure stretch, not torque.

Comment

Still haven't figured out how you measure stretch on an S54 rod bolt with it in the car....the end of the bolt isn't exposed.

Comment

That's the main reason I decided to use oem bolts

Comment

Thats a bad reason to use OEM bolts IMO. But, I had a rod bolt let go at 135 going into turn 1 braking zone at VIR that clouds my judgement.

Comment

Bolt stretch is always the best way to install a rod bolt. However, i have installed plenty of ARP rod bolts and if you follow their lubrication instructions the proper stretch is always achieved at their recommended torque number. I have no problem using a torque # on an ARP rod bolt.
                            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

So here is a question.

Does ARP replicate the same torque as the stock bolt? My experience is that to use an ARP bolt the rod should be measured first with the new bolt at recommended torque. Hence the reason I always use stock bolts on bearing swaps and the ARP bolts on new builds as it is difficult to do in situ?

Ak

Comment

Working...
                              X