MSS54 Cruise Control in E30

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • R3Z3N
    replied
    ^bmwm3motorsport who made the MK60 swap documentation sells a modified E30 steering column to fit the steering angle sensor.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dances with V8
    replied
    Thanks for the answer.

    I have someone who has i think all the tools for reading and manipulating the DME and some experience in it (unlike me). Once the engine and the stalk/adapter/etc is in my car, i will try it and use this thread as a reference. In case the MSS52 is similar to the S54, i think it should be manageable.

    The MK60 conversion will (if at all) happen at a later date. So i am very glad to hear that the cruise control can be done without signals from the MK60. Installing the cruise control parts should be easier than removing the old ABS and installing the new ABS and installing new brake lines for the rear, installing the yaw sensor and figuring out whats the best way to install the steering angle sensor.


    Thanks again.

    Leave a comment:


  • R3Z3N
    replied
    ^1st question: Changing the program tune information will be different. I have not looked into it nor will I.

    ^2nd question: Yes, cruise works without ABS as the tune change is telling the DME it is getting the tire rotations/km direct, however one needs to also change the rotations/km that the signal is sending to the computer for this to be correct which I outline. HOWEVER one CAN use the MK60 ABS and use signal from that as the MSS54 / HP is already setup for. I have uploaded a PDF regarding wiring up the MK60 that someone else has written up. However some of that info gets sent from the E46 cluster which few swaps will utilize.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dances with V8
    replied
    Overall i have to say, very cool findings. I think we can be very grateful BMW built the Z3 and maintained it for such a long time, giving us simple modules to fix otherwise complicated problems like cruise control ;).

    I have a question, or actually two.

    Does this also work with an S62 swap? MSS52 is the engine software. I am thinking it should, as the softwares are often similar and you find often products which are suitable for the S52 and the S62.

    Second question: The cruise control works without the DME having the speed information from the ABS/DSC? I figured that the engine needs to know the speed information it usually gets from the ABS, but it sounds like it works even without it.
    I am asking because i wanted to push cruise control back until i manage to install the MK60 ABS, but if the informations from the MK60 are not needed, i will do the cruise control sooner.


    I know this is an older thread, but maybe some people who have done this can provide some insights ;)

    Thank you in advance :)

    edit: also, i seem to not be able to locate the excel file? Is it gone and lost in time?
    Last edited by Dances with V8; 06-17-2022, 03:33 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • R3Z3N
    replied
    Originally posted by ba114
    Not taking a shot at you, appreciate the thread explaining everything. Was just calling out there appeared to be a discrepancy. I think i'll follow the ETM as far as the stalk wiring goes and report back if it works or i blow something up.
    Agreed! Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • ba114
    replied
    Not taking a shot at you, appreciate the thread explaining everything. Was just calling out there appeared to be a discrepancy.
    I think i'll follow the ETM as far as the stalk wiring goes and report back if it works or i blow something up.

    Leave a comment:


  • R3Z3N
    replied
    Tell you what, if I made a mistake please tell me. I will gladly pay lucidchart.com another $10 to fix if needed where I drew up the wiring. I no longer have the car as I sold it on BAT. Cruise did work, EXCEPT I did not wire in the clutch switch, so it did not disengage when clutch depressed, but did disengage with speed change and brakes. I made this a long time ago, and I think I was on the verge of heat stroke working outside soldering in the sun looking at the ETMs as my buddy had borrowed my EZ-UP tent.

    I do have a memory that some of the wiring colors matched up, which would imply my chart is wrong. Again, a memory, from a long time ago, and my memory is no elephant's.

    Leave a comment:


  • ba114
    replied
    Ok... i'm confused, your first post says:
    1 Cancel
    2 Resume
    3 Decel
    4 Accel
    5

    But the ETM says:
    5 Cancel
    3 Resume
    1 Decel
    4 Accel
    2 12v
    which one is it?

    Leave a comment:


  • R3Z3N
    replied
    Didn't say that. The table and image are correct.
    Last edited by R3Z3N; 08-24-2021, 11:28 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • ba114
    replied
    Originally posted by R3Z3N
    Yes. I figured this out looking at the same ETM page you attached. Actually worked first try.
    Ok, so ignore the table in your first post? Are the cruise module pins correct at least?

    Leave a comment:


  • R3Z3N
    replied
    Yes. I figured this out looking at the same ETM page you attached. Actually worked first try.

    Leave a comment:


  • ba114
    replied
    Are you sure about the e30 cruise stalk pin numbers? I know you got it working, but they dont match the ETM....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 3.32.42 pm.png
Views:	2513
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	10028973

    Leave a comment:


  • cek
    replied
    Nevermind. I just found and cloned the github repo. All good. I'll keep y'all posted...

    Leave a comment:


  • cek
    replied
    I'm using your awesome instructions to get cruise control working on Minerva, which just came to life. 1985 E28 with a Steve Dinan built S54 (carbahn.com).

    Click image for larger version

Name:	50057088062_536441919a_b.jpg
Views:	2619
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	9938490

    Click image for larger version

Name:	50029851721_5915441612_b.jpg
Views:	2599
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	9938492

    Click image for larger version

Name:	50029318693_dd8b0651e7_b.jpg
Views:	2693
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	9938491

    I'm almost there. I have the Z3 module, just ordered the connector from mouser.com, have the E28 cruise stalk wiring figured out, and have an older .XDF for my MSS54HP (v1081).

    Can you please point me at the one with the configs you mentioned above (the link doesn't work)?

    Thanks!

    Leave a comment:


  • R3Z3N
    replied
    Updating the tutorial with correct female plugs and pins for the Z3M cruise control module and clutch switch, so you don't have to make an adapter IE it'll look stock, AND so that the clutch will now cutout cruise control instead of just speed change or brakes application.

    Leave a comment:

Working...