M54 smokes out of 1 header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M54 smokes out of 1 header

Hello, i have swaped a M54b25 into a E30, but thats not the ponit. I have startet it up a few times, and the one header smokes like i wild one, (first 3 cylinders) as you can se in the video, i havent run it long enough to know anny oil ore water consumption. but the header is soaking (im guessing oil) and the other is dry. what could it be? where is it comming from? i also have blocked the vacuum check valve, if that have annything to say.

Last edited by Patrick_Nielsen; 06-30-2019, 03:09 PM.

Can't see a video, but the only thing above the manifolds is the valve cover, which are known to leak.

Comment

video fixed.
      What about valve stem seals?

Comment

Head gasket is blown would be my guess. They're known to fail on M54's.

Too much oil for valve stem seals.
        Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Andre3127 if it was the head gasket, would i be able to fill the water to the top off the radiator, put the car in 5. gear and let the cluts off slow, and the wather should rice, asuming is blow through the water channel as well? know that trick works on older cars. are there anny way to be sure what the problem is. ore is the only way compression test and camera in the cylinder (planing on that today ore tomorrow) ore is it just to replace the headgasket and valve stem seals? :)

Comment

Could be bad rings or head gasket is my guess. Why not do a compression test? It is very possible for the cylinder to ingest oil and not water. It just depends on where the gasket failure occurred if that is indeed what your problem is.

Do you have access to a leak down style tester?
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

General Discussion is not a catch-all; please do not ask technical questions there. If you don't know where to ask your question, post it in General Technical and we'll move it to the appropriate subforum if necessary. Thanks in advance.
              Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

agent: sorry about that, can you move it all in the tecnical forum?

flyboyx: i dont have acess to a leak down tester but maybe a standard comp. tester. I hope it's not the rings tho

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick_Nielsen View Post
                  agent: sorry about that, can you move it all in the tecnical forum?
                  No worries, it's a reminder for everyone who reads the thread, not just you. ;)

Moved to the M54 swap subsection.
                  Originally posted by kronus
                  would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
                  X