No announcement yet.

S54 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't Azevedo do this? If you decide to do it Fred, I know where there is a crashed m3 with a running engine and a 6 speed for sale.
    Byron
    Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
      Yeah, Bryan mentioned TECIII resetting or forgetting its programming after hitting big bumps on the track in a thread about the S54 running AEM.

Thanks for the offer on the Autronic, Mike. I guess I have to some more research before I pull any triggers.
      That's what I remembered reading, but I couldn't prove it. Thanks.

Comment

Yeah, Azevedo has done this quite a few times. Not sure what he used for standalone EMS, but there isn't that much info out there.

E30SPDFRK, is this crashed M3 local?

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by static View Post
          btw, TEC3 *CAN* run dual-vanos (unofficially though). I am quite sure MS could too, with a bit of firmware/hardware massaging

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=515437
          While they may be able to run an "on-off" type dual vanos, I doubt either could run the "infinitely variable" dual vanos of the S54. I'm sure the stock cams are optimized for that variable timing curve.
          '91 318is
          sigpic

Comment

I saw a dyno graph of an AEM-managed, locked-cam S54 with stock head and intake plenum. The torque curve is super flat! No dead spots or valleys or anything. Clearly, the stock head, cams, and intake plenum are extremely well-designed.

This particular engine was done by evosport. Stock head, just evosport headers and exhaust, and CSL airbox.

Comment

Yeah, thats pretty sweet. No need for vanos, I'd say.
              '91 318is
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brew View Post
                While they may be able to run an "on-off" type dual vanos, I doubt either could run the "infinitely variable" dual vanos of the S54. I'm sure the stock cams are optimized for that variable timing curve.
                agreed. for proper dual-vanos operation, a close-loop system is needed (including the PWM solenoid and a cam-sensor for each cam, plus the oil temp sensor in OE implementation)
                Looking at the most recent MS firmware, it is easy to program such a system (and one of the creators of MSExtra agrees with me), the problem (besides tuning the beast) is no more inputs for the second cam sensor and PWM outputs for the second solenoid. This will change with introduction of the GPIO board sometime next year.

In regards to unstable ("MS-esque", which, as we know, is only as good as the builder builds it) hardware behavior, MS will have a very sturdy surface mount unit out very soon (sequential to boot).

The vanos-less curve looks pretty good (anyone got a comparison shot from a stock s54?). Don't forget that the point of the dual vanos is not only to flatten the curve, but an internal EGR control (which is of course irrelevant for a race car and wouldn't happen at WOT even with stock tune i am sure).
                While the WOT curve looks good, it might drive like arse at part throttle, get bad mileage and/or not pass emissions esp in California
                Last edited by static; 11-06-2007, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                  Didn't Azevedo do this? If you decide to do it Fred, I know where there is a crashed m3 with a running engine and a 6 speed for sale.
                  how much? pm me!
                  e30sport.net
                  '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                  '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                  '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Fred, I emailed my dyno guy and he has had some experience with the S54 -

There are very few who have tackled such a complex engine with aftermarket engine management. I happen to be one of the few. I've done S54 engines with operational VANOS and drive-by-wire throttle using aftermarket engine management for the 4 car Anchor Racing Team in Grand Am a couple years ago. I'll reply with some more details when I get some time to compose a paragraph or too.

As I get more details, I will post them here.

Comment

Thanks for contacting your dyno guy! Is he at Speed Lab? Because it seems they have a EFI Technology solution for continuously variable VANOS and drive by wire.

The only constraint I have is, rather than a US DoD budget for EMS, I have one suitable for a fledgling former Soviet satellite nation.

Comment

The only constraint I have is, rather than a US DoD budget for EMS, I have one suitable for a fledgling former Soviet satellite nation.
                        My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                        There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

This particular engine was done by evosport. Stock head, just evosport headers and exhaust, and CSL airbox.

Just so people arent misled by the numbers, this is a dry-sumped race motor with a built bottomend and rebuild interval of <100hrs. Though I know your point was not the numbers. Evosport pretty much has a plug-n-play AEM solution for S54 swaps. If I was considering doing this I would call them before buying anything.

S54 swap into e36 using MZ3 harness and stock DME by Rob Levinson of UUC
                          Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
                          You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

Ah, yeah, bottom end has custom pistons (bump in comp) and the pull was done with race fuel. My expectation on a stock bottom end is a similar shaped curve, shifted lower because of regular pistons, and it'd definitely be running at a lower maximum engine speed.

S54 into E36 and E36/7 has already been done with stock DME like two years ago. JazzM on maxbimmer got this done by a shop in Toronto (IIRC), with DSC etc., and this same shop did the swap into a 1996 E36.

Comment

Thanks for contacting your dyno guy! Is he at Speed Lab? Because it seems they have a EFI Technology solution for continuously variable VANOS and drive by wire.

Yep, Bob Payton as Speed Lab is my tuner. Very knowledgable, tons of experience, and a great guy to boot.

Comment

I contemplated not posting at all, since so many of you are experienced swappers already and must know what you're doing. However, I just can't resist asking:

Why go to the trouble of an S54 swap without taking whatever steps necessary to keep the dual VANOS? Otherwise, you'll end up with an engine that's only strong in a narrow rev band (and decidedly weak off-idle).

E30 24V 6MT SOLD :( - look for it in sunny Miami :)

Comment

Working...
                                X