MAF and throttle body problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAF and throttle body problems

The engine is running rich at idle (-7 to -9% negative fuel trim) with strong exhaust smell and i get whitish gray smoke from the tail pipe when i rev it up and it smells like unburnt fuel. I hooked up a scanner to get live data and the MAF is reading from 3.9 to 4.9 g/s and it is idling around 750 rpm . This is the crazy part, the throttle angle is showing at 0% at idle and it does not change no matter how high i rev it up. When i turn off the engine and leave the key in position 2, the scanner reads about 7 or 8% for the throttle position. The car sounds like it is missing when it is running. Could this be a bad MAF not sending correct air volume date to DME?

I checked for vacuum leaks everywhere but could not find any, checked fuel pressure and its within spec, ECT sensor is brand new BMW, checked injector pulse and operation, they don't leak so no issues there. Not sure what else it could be besides the MAF. I should mention that I deleted the CCV, all port capped and i have a breather filter on the valve cover.
    Last edited by NvE30; 08-29-2020, 09:18 PM.

Do you have any DTCs?

Is this an S54? On the S54, the throttle bodies don't open initially at light pedal, all the airflow is actually handled through the idle air control valve.

Comment

It’s an m54b30 and no dtc whatsoever. I tested the compression and got 120psi dry on all six and about 125psi wet also on all six and that’s quite low. The grayish white smoke out of the tailpipe is concerning cuz it could be coolant getting into the exhaust and affecting the o2 sensor readings which in turn is affecting fuel trims. I also noticed pinhead sized oil drops in the coolant reservoir so I pulled the head and found quite a bit of oil on the gasket and in a couple of the bolt holes in the block. Engine never overheated so at least that’s good. I am slapping my self for not throwing a new head gasket on it when the engine was out of the car, but it is what it is.

Comment

Working...
      X