transfer case removal without a lift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transfer case removal without a lift?

Is there a transfer case removal diy? Would you advise not to this without a lift?

Thanks!

You can do it without a lift. Put the car on jackstands, remove exhaust, heat shields, driveshaft, and then transfer case. There are four bolts holding the transfer case to the transmission. The top two are difficult to reach. I've done it twice, both times with combinations of elbows and extensions from topside through the shifter hole. Others have used another combination of elbows and extensions from underneath. I find it helps to lower the transmission all the way down (four bolts on the support) to get the socket on the bolt, and then raise the assembly back up to get a better angle on the extension. Also, it is nice to have a helper under the car to guide the socket onto the bolt when it falls off (and to take the transfer case off when unbolted). There is also a flex disk mating the transmission to the transfer case which needs to be unbolted. Also, the transfer case is heavy, but not so heavy that one person can't manage it's removal. There's plenty of information over on e30tech.

Comment

I usually reach the two upper bolts on the transfer case by removing the rubber boot from the shifter and reaching down with an extension and u-joint from inside the car.

Comment

Working...
      X