Center/Front diff idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center/Front diff idea

So we all know that the stock front diffs aren't that strong. I'd like to swap in a Euro M3 3.0L motor into the car which is 282hp. My center diff is dead right now and needs a rebuild. I was thinking, if I rebuild my center diff and refill it with a lower viscosity fluid, would that cause it to slip more and reduce the drive on the front diff?

Opinions?

No, the torque/power distribution is set by the sun gears in the transfercase @ 63/37% not the viscous coupling, it is just a locking device (locking front/rear outputs during wheel slip only) and changing the fluid in it will just change the rate of lock-up during slip events.if all 4 wheels are on solid ground w/no slip torque split will always be 63/37!

quote "My center diff is dead right now and needs a rebuild" your center diff is the sun gears if they are broken vehicle wont move at all. i assume you then are refering to having a bad viscous coupling (failed jack test?)RE: changing viscosity in the viscous coupler which as stated wont change anything but lockup and driveablity in tight corners as system is locked more/less (depending on viscosity)causing more/less binding.

btw people are running over 350bhp and not breaking front diffs as long as they arent doing hard drag race launches consistantly . a testament to how strong the entire system is really
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

ah ok, i understand now.

Comment

dude if you swap in an s50 ill go nuts. only seen one other 24v swap to date
        sigpic

http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=201774

Comment

Working...
        X