Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lets get some iX mudflaps made. Who can help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rzerob
    replied
    ghatid

Please explain this pricing. You mention half of $700. So $350 for a set? You also posted save $150 off the price with no hardware. So $200 for a set of just the flaps? And what is a set to you? Just the two ix specific front mud flaps? Or all four mud flaps?

Leave a comment:

• ghatid
    replied
    Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
    Right, yeah can't sand that lol.
    It looked like some kind of resin on the pictures.

Here's the link
    https://e30-talk.com/topic/104026-su...ouring/page-11
    Holy crap, those look amazing. He made one offs of stainless steel brackets including welding? I don't think I have the ability to do that...

Leave a comment:

• D.Martijn
    replied
    Originally posted by ghatid View Post
    It's a silicone mold, not sandable. But my opinion is that the parts made are good enough, just wondering what other people's expectations are.

Do you have the link for the hardware by the German guy?
    Right, yeah can't sand that lol.
    It looked like some kind of resin on the pictures.

Here's the link

Leave a comment:

• ghatid
    replied
    Why don't you try to sand and poslish the mold you have to get a better finish?
    I mean even if it's a bit thicker than original, no one will know.

I've found a thread on a German forum of a guy who made new hardware from stainless steel. They looked pretty close to the original.
    It's a silicone mold, not sandable. But my opinion is that the parts made are good enough, just wondering what other people's expectations are.

Do you have the link for the hardware by the German guy?

Leave a comment:

• D.Martijn
    replied
    Why don't you try to sand and poslish the mold you have to get a better finish?
    I mean even if it's a bit thicker than original, no one will know.

I've found a thread on a German forum of a guy who made new hardware from stainless steel. They looked pretty close to the original.

Leave a comment:

• ghatid
    replied
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Alright guys, I have made my first article off of my newly made mold made for late model ix's. Don't get too excited, it's going to be at least a month or two before I can ship anything out, most likely 2-3 since I haven't even decided how I'm going to reproduce the hardware yet and I have a full time job. I'll start a new thread when I'm more finalized.

A couple of questions that came out of inspecting the first part that came out of the mold, speak up if you have an opinion about any of these, I cannot and will not cater to the silent.

1. How important to you guys is it that the parts are "perfect". The mud flaps I am making the mold out of are not perfect. It was from a car that used it for what seems like quite a few years. It looks pretty good from the front (BMW side), but the back surface is rough when you run your fingers over it. I think still think it's going to be pretty decent looking, but if you want to put these flaps on your dining room table to inspect them, you're going to be able to see some imperfections. Once this thing fully cures, I'll remove the flashing and take some better pictures after seeing how tough this material actually is.

2. Is there any market for people to buy these without hardware?

3. I think I might end up designing my own hardware that will probably be a little ghetto looking instead of reproducing the BMW hardware exactly. If it does a good job of holding down the mudflap and saves $150 off the price, would that be appealing or would more people prefer OEM style hardware?

4. No idea on pricing yet, esp not with the hardware being up in the air. But I am hoping you guys are still interested in these things cuz its costing a pretty penny to get everything set up and I've only made one mold and so far, I haven't involved outside vendors. The last real flaps were sold for $700 so I'm thinking if I can get these under half of that, it's a win, but I know the market for $300+ mud flaps is going to be pretty light. I'm trying really hard to keep the prices down, but there's a reason that companies like Garagistic who need to actually make money don't pick up this project.
    Last edited by ghatid; 02-17-2019, 09:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• D.Martijn
    replied
    Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
    i wish I had euro bumpers on my iX so I could put the Alpina rear mudflaps on. I'm almost tempted to order a set and see if I can modify it to work, but the iX arches will be the issue I think.
    Alpina mudfaps? Do you have any pictures of these? Never heard of those before

Leave a comment:

• audiquattrot
    replied
    i wish I had euro bumpers on my iX so I could put the Alpina rear mudflaps on. I'm almost tempted to order a set and see if I can modify it to work, but the iX arches will be the issue I think.

Leave a comment:

• bradnic
    replied
    I believe that’s correct. There’s a chrome euro bumper version of the IX that preceded the version imported to the US.. it has the side skirts with the lines on it. @downforce22 has one

Leave a comment:

• EyExR
    replied
    The part number is listed as “up to 09/1987”. Doesn’t that mean they wouldn’t fit on a later year?

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    yes, that's what this whole thread is about. ;)

we never had the early ix over here, but I'll bet theirs are NLA as well (the fronts).

The rears are the same as any late-E30.

Leave a comment:

• EyExR
    replied
    Did they make late model flaps for the iX? If so, anyone have a part number?

Leave a comment:

• restart
    replied
    Moving this over from parts section. Thought it might come in handy for the metal fab and small parts list...

I concur, The E30 rear mudflaps are all the the same. Just for quick reference I will post realoem iX mud flap page and the 3 pages of instruction that comes with the part from OG

The mud flaps are one thing but the mounting hardware is another, so fabrication is going to require metal work as well. I can’t remember....Maybe the metal brackets for the front are the same as the rwd e30.?

I tried some on my ix years ago, and IMHO, the mud flaps are just another spot to collect dirt, sand, and salt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B9BF1322-0B44-424C-9BDA-CAA4368C324E.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	7200683

Name:	131985F5-866C-40AD-8533-8EA1029667A5.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	7200684

Name:	67AFB752-AD81-4896-AECD-F18C4E57B45E.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	7200685

Name:	FA076C8C-ECB2-44B4-8F0A-78AD975C0FBD.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	7200686

Realoem E30 rear flap

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    We have a CMM measuring machine at work. It would be possible to trace an existing one and reverse engineer it although it will take a few hours to measure and draw these in CAD.
    Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
    I just purchased a new/ still in packaging set of front flaps solely with the intent to reproduce. I will make a separate thread on this when I have a plan and people on board that can make it happen.
    I think if you guys get together and developed a model, it would be a LOT easier to get some progress than if the flaps sat on a shelf.

ETA: Hell, I have access to a few CMMs, but I'm not nearly proficient enough to make models. I could probably have the guy who runs the CMM do it, but I'd have to pay him for something this involved.

Leave a comment:

• Chrisbike
    replied
    I just purchased a new/ still in packaging set of front flaps solely with the intent to reproduce. I will make a separate thread on this when I have a plan and people on board that can make it happen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X