Labor Cost - Installation of Used Transfer Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labor Cost - Installation of Used Transfer Case

First, some background: I bought an 88 Ix back in December. A red coupe, manual. Beyond the fact that it's a beautiful car, I bought it in order to rectify my lack of knowledge and experience with cars. In that regard it's been a success, because the car has been nothing but trouble since I bought it -- I've replaced the ignition coil, cam shaft sensor, and the clutch slave and master in the four months since I bought it. I know a lot more about cars than when I started, but will end up in the poor house if my interest continues.

Anyway, about a month ago, it suddenly developed a horrifying metallic sound coming from the transmission, and an accompanying vibration that I could feel in the shifter.

My mechanic initially says it's a bad throwout bearing and I need a new clutch. But when he pulled the transmission out of the car, the clutch was fine. He did find some pretty bad cracks along the underside of the transfer case, very near to where it is bolted to the transmission. Thus: I need to replace the transfer case, and presumably that will fix the problem.

I'm not actually under any illusion that a replacement transfer case is necessarily the cure for this, but I probably need one anyway, because hey, the old one is cracked. So, I obtained a used transfer case. I'm having my mechanic install it.

Questions:

-- How many hours of labor should I expect?

-- Are there any pitfalls to this job? I have confidence in my mechanic, but want to let him know if there are any issues to be aware of. I also want to know what the possible problems will/could be in the aftermath. Murphy's law, etc.

-- Do you think that the cracks in the transfer case (and what is likely some resultant shimmying in the drivetrain) is the source of the horrifying metallic sound? I will supply pics of the old transfer case if need be.

Answers to these questions, and any general advice or wisdom regarding my tragic interest in these cars, is greatly appreciated.

Riley
    Last edited by rars11; 03-28-2013, 01:06 PM.

I meant shimmying in the driveline. Not drivetrain. I'm a noob.

Comment

Well, it should take about 30 minutes to swap the transfer case since he's already got it sitting on the floor. The big part of the labor is getting the whole assembly out.

Make sure you rebuild the shifter mechanism - replace everything as you have to pull the transfer case to get to a bunch of it.
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I appreciate the advice. I went ahead and ordered a shift bushing kit from Pelican.

HOWEVER, there's a problem. The "shift arm bearing" is no longer available.

Genuine BMW/MINI Shift Arm Bearing E30 325ix. Call (310)626-8765. May Qualify For FREE SHIPPING. Parts# 25 11 1 221 569 25-11-1-221-569 25.11.1.221.569 25111221569.

I'm hoping that the old part is not worn out and will work with the rebuild kit. Does anyone know if that's going to be a problem?

Comment

That part isn't so important. I would get a delrin bushing for the front of the carrier.
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

pictures tells more than 1000 words.. you got any?
            Also found on Facebook - Juuso Tero, Tampere
            https://www.facebook.com/JuusosGarage

Comment

25-11-1-221-569 is NOT NLA. There are 15 in the country and over 600 in Germany.

Comment

Jute, when I get a chance I'll snap some pics of the cracks in the transfer case.

Danny, do you have a link by chance? I've searched around and found some sites that purport to have it, but it's kind of expensive. $40 or so is the cheapest. If it's not that important, and the old part will work, I'd rather go that route.

Nrubenstein, I appreciate the Delrin recommendation. I will probably order that in lieu of the Pelican part ...

Comment

Email Steve@blunttech.com with the part number. He'll take care of you.

Comment

Thanks, Danny.

Comment

Buy a delrin carrier bushing instead of that gummy bear factory one. I just rebuilt the shifter in my IX and it feels fantastic with the delrin bushing.

Comment

Originally posted by dirty30 View Post
                        Buy a delrin carrier bushing instead of that gummy bear factory one. I just rebuilt the shifter in my IX and it feels fantastic with the delrin bushing.
                        Hey, Dirty. I did indeed buy the Delrin bushing, and thank you for the advice. What's your take on the "shifting arm bearing" part that's so hard to find (part no. 25111221569, discussed above). Everywhere I look it's priced at about $100. Did you pay that price when you rebuilt your shifter? Do I even need it (since I can likely use the old part)?

Comment

Originally posted by rars11 View Post
                          Hey, Dirty. I did indeed buy the Delrin bushing, and thank you for the advice. What's your take on the "shifting arm bearing" part that's so hard to find (part no. 25111221569, discussed above). Everywhere I look it's priced at about $100. Did you pay that price when you rebuilt your shifter? Do I even need it (since I can likely use the old part)?
                          I did not replace that when I rebuilt my shifter, I think Garagistic sells a delrin one of those if I'm not mistaken though.

OVAL CARRIER SHIFTER BUSHINGS (FOR: BMW E36, E39, E46, Z3 EARLY) Get rid of all that slop in your E36, E46 (or swapped E30) shifter! Our Garagistic delrin and aluminum carrier bushings replace the original rubber bushing (which not only had lots of "give" but is usually neglected and degrades over time). These oval

Its in the drop down menu at the above link.

Comment

Dirty (and others who have rebuilt the shifter mechanism),

How long did it take you? Again, I just want to get an idea of how much this is going to set me back.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by rars11 View Post
                              Dirty (and others who have rebuilt the shifter mechanism),

How long did it take you? Again, I just want to get an idea of how much this is going to set me back.

Thanks again for your help.
                              It took forever but I did the linkage with the transfer case in the car. I'd imagine it wouldn't take more than 3-4 hours to have the transfer case swapped or trans and transfer case in and out. I've pulled my fair share of transmissions in BMW's but everything AWD or 4WD ive done has been toyota or Audi. The IX looked pretty straight forward though.

Comment

Working...
                              X