IX Specific Starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IX Specific Starter?

My starter fell apart over the weekend and I ordered a new one from my usual place. This morning they e-mailed me to say that based on my VIN the right starter was $400 + core.

So, clearly I'm not going to go that route. Is there anything iX specific about the starter? It looked pretty normal to me.

Thanks.

No....

And that's a BS price. You can get it for WAY cheaper....
    My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
      No....

And that's a BS price. You can get it for WAY cheaper....
      http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...-starters.aspx
      Thanks for confirming. Yeah, I saw the Turner one, but I went with FCP Euro because I also needed a couple of other things I already had in my cart there.

Rock Auto had some even cheaper...but I wanted the Bosch reman'd one. I've also had a bunch of bad experiences with Rock Auto, but FCP has been solid every time.

Comment

Good price on the FCP unit. FYI, you can get a OE (factory) refurb unit for almost the same price from here:

I get all my factory parts from these guys and the prices are great. The benefit of buying OE is that all factory parts carry a two (2) year warranty.

Good luck changing that out. I have never found an easy way to get to that back bolt.

Comment

The dealer near me has a similar setup to husker...except I can go and pick it up locally which is nice. They are the ones that e-mailed me back about the change in price from $130ish to $400. Not sure what happened, but I asked them twice, and they said that was the price.

I've already got the old one out.

I used a wobble head and a 6" extension on the back bolt. From the bottom I was able to feel it and get the wrench in there. For once the rust on my car was a help, as I think it was holding the bolt in place while I wrenched the nut off.

For re-assembly I have pre-positioned a u-joint and some extensions on the head of the back bolt. I'll let you know how it goes.

Originally posted by mtnbimmer View Post
          Good price on the FCP unit. FYI, you can get a OE (factory) refurb unit for almost the same price from here:

I get all my factory parts from these guys and the prices are great. The benefit of buying OE is that all factory parts carry a two (2) year warranty.

Good luck changing that out. I have never found an easy way to get to that back bolt.

Comment

As an aside on the warranty issue, the Bosch reman starter I got from FCP has a 2 year warranty. I'm going to put it in this morning, but I think it will be pretty straightforward.

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X