Rear driveshaft issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear driveshaft issues

So I am attempting to remove my driveshafts so I can do a tcase swap, but have run into issues. First, as I turn the collar nut cockwise, its beginning to disappear under this end cap and I cannot turn it anymore. The driveshaft doesn't seem to want to clear anything and come out. I went to look at a spare driveshaft I had laying around, and the collar nut is hidden deep under this same cap! How can you unscrew it to this point! I must be missing something. Please help!

May be a dumb question, but do I have to remove the guibo's in order to get the shafts out?

2011 335i xDrive Msport - sold
    2002 M5
    '88 325ix turbo build :D

I think you may have unscrewed it too far, the splines that connect the front part of the driveshaft to the u-joint section may be rusted together, and if so try spraying it down with pb blaster and using a pry bar to try to compress it. It should slip over the guibo with some assistance
    1988 325iX - sold but not forgotten
    1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

i guess the part i don't understand is that you are asking to get the shaft out but it appears you have it out already?

the only thing that collar does is compress a medium soft rubber donut.

why not remove the guibo? three more bolts and you are in business. if you take your shaft apart, make sure to mark it so it goes back together correctly. once you get your guibo out, you should be able to get a pry bar between the tranny output flange and the ds. i would think you should be able to compress the shaft wether the nut is loose or not. my two ix parts cars are from the rusty north. i didn't have any particular trouble getting them out.

also, you said you turned the nut to the right which would be clockwise. the last time i took a ds out of an e30, i didn't recall any left handed threads. maybe you went the wrong way and tightened it or perhaps you simply wrote your post incorrectly.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by 6A LDY View Post
        I think you may have unscrewed it too far, the splines that connect the front part of the driveshaft to the u-joint section may be rusted together, and if so try spraying it down with pb blaster and using a pry bar to try to compress it. It should slip over the guibo with some assistance
        This is what did it for me on the spare driveshaft (seen in the picture). I sprayed it down really nice, and then banged it around and it finalled moved. Almost have it moving to where the collar nut is exposed now.

Unscrewing to the right (clockwise while looking at the diff) a little further and then prying the one in the car got that out. Low and behold though, I was so happy when it came out I forgot to mark the two sides. Hopefully I get it back together correctly.

I have now lowered the tranny/tcase assembly on a jack, and removed the bottom two bolts, but I cant quite seem to get the top two. I am using two impact swivels and a 2ft extension and an impact gun, but I cant quite get the socket to seat. It seems like I can only drop the tranny so far. Do I need to loosen the motor mounts?
        2011 335i xDrive Msport - sold
        2002 M5
        '88 325ix turbo build :D

Comment

Working...
        X