help removing balljoints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help removing balljoints

Alright so I finally got all the pieces of the puzzle together(I have an extra set of used control arms and brand new outer bushings) but I am just trying to figure out how to actually remove the old ball joints and insert the new ones

I understand that to remove and install the ball joints you just have to simply press them with at least a 20 ton press.
    it all sounded so simple when I was collecting the parts about a year ago but my front end clunk has just gotten louder and I cant procrastinate this any longer

Where would I go to press out the ball joints?

and would any of these ideas work
    will just any garage be able to do this if I just hand them the control arms and new bushing?
    should I find a machine shop?
    should I just buy a 20 ton press from harbor and freight for 200$ and figure it out the hard way?
    Can I just do it with a big ass hammer?
    Can I just do it with a big ass hammer and a drill?

:thankyou:

You'll need a tubular press mandrel (basically a thick wall tube) to slip outside the ball joint shank to actually press on the body of the joint that is pressed into the control arm.

You'll also need a larger tubular press mandrel to support the control arm as you push the ball joint out of it.

To install the new ones, flip the arm over, use the larger mandrel to support the control arm and press directly on the ball joint body.

Comment

An automotive machine shop should be able to do them for you. Take them i and see what they say.

Comment

A decent garage (not pep-boys) should have a press and be able to do them for you. The first time I did mine I didn't have access to a press so I had them done at my local engine machinist, I think they charged me $50 to do both sides. It only takes about 10 minutes each side with the right equipment. That said, a harbor freight press is not the right equipment. I've done press-in ball joints on one, and it's possible, but not fun.

If you really want to DIY it you might be able to do it with one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-jo...les-60827.html but if you already have the arms off the car I'd just bring them to a shop.

Comment

Awsome thanks for the info
          I'll go ask a shop

Comment

I actually did my balljoints on my own without a 20 ton press. It was a PITA, but if I needed to, I would do it again.

I borrowed a ball joint press from O'reilly's to pop them out and push them in. (Something like this: http://www.frontiernet.net/~slray/04...ntPress-02.JPG)

The outer balljoint is too long, so I actually had to just cut it short to pop it out, but it wasn't an issue for the install. What actually helps a lot is heat. If you don't have a torch, I used a cheapo harbor freight heat gun and it actually did the job.

I would advise against buying a big press for this, and if you want to save time/trouble, I would just go to a shop. It's just that in my experience in my area, shops aren't super willing to do things like this without dragging their feet. They're always too busy, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X