long overdue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

long overdue

subframe bushings are finally done in my car, i did it without dropping the subframe, once i pulled the cover plates off, i knocked out a bolt, and then threaded the aluminium with a 5/8x11tpi tap, i threaded a piece of 5/8" allthread into the aluminium and attached a 5 lb slide hammer to the end of it, after throwing out my back, and not moving the aluminium i decided that would not work. Using a drill, i ripped out all of the old rubber still attached to the sleeve. now having lots of room in there, i took two pieces of angle iron and shoved them up inside where the rubber used to be. with a thick steel plate over the allthread and angle iron, i put a nut and washer on the allthread and used the impact gun to crank the nut down. I thought the allthread was about to start stretching when i heard a pop, after a couple more turns of the nut, the aluminium center fell out and onto the ground, and then proceeded to do the same to the drivers side (without the 25 minutes of wailing on the slide hammer) the sleeve that was still in the subframe was taken care of with a sawzall, cut through, crushed, and pulled out. should have taken more pictures of the process, took about 8 hours.

The following weekend, i replaced shocks and struts and made a bit of a frightening discovery. 200k originals came out, used housing from a friends parts car, and new billy hd's. If the gland nut wont come off, take a hammer and strike the tube where the threads are until the rust seal breaks, then proceed to unthread it with little effort
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X