iX 2 Door to 4 Door Swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iX 2 Door to 4 Door Swap?

Hey! I'm super new to r3v, but I've had my 88 iX coupe for about 3 months now, so I'm pretty familiar with these things...

My chassis is an absolute New England rust box. One of the rear subframe mounts has broken off the chassis twice to give you an idea of what it's like. All of the insulation and carpet was torn out, and the floorboards are swiss cheese. It's beyond repair. Any non-car savvy person would junk it without a thought. However, the drivetrain is virtually mint, save for a couple of torn CV boots I have yet to replace and a 200k mile M20, which still goes strong by the way.

Here's my question...

If I found a rust-free 4 door rear drive E30 for cheap, and had my iX as a parts car, could I not (theoretically) swap the complete drivetrain and front end AWD components into the 4 door? And would this (again theoretically) be bolt in?

This would give me a chance (and an excuse) to reseal the whole drivetrain, and maybe even rebuild/port the top end.

My final goal with this would be to completely strip down the 2 door and the interior of the 4 door to pay for a nice exhaust, MegaSquirt and some other NA power goodies... with some funds left over for other things.

I know it sounds rather mean to strip down a running and driving iX, but trust me, I would be doing it a huge favor giving its 'soul' a new 'body' to live in.

Do excuse me if I sound like a complete idiot... I'm not an E30 "pro" yet.

Thanks guys!!!

You will need an IX shell due to the bump out in the center tunnel to clear the transfer case and the vertical strut towers in engine bay (less castor for awd)

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

Ah that's a bummer. Thanks for confirmation. The tunnel bump out would be easy to deal with, but the towers seem like the real issue.

It might be doable with some fine welding and reinforcement. Wouldn't have to be pretty, it would just have to work and not break. This might make a cool build thread one day;)

Again, thank you for the confirmation and timely response!

Comment

Originally posted by jackjtr View Post
        If I found a rust-free 4 door rear drive E30 for cheap, and had my iX as a parts car, could I not (theoretically) swap the complete drivetrain and front end AWD components into the 4 door? And would this (again theoretically) be bolt in?
        Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
        You will need an IX shell due to the bump out in the center tunnel to clear the transfer case and the vertical strut towers in engine bay (less castor for awd)
        The trans tunnel fab should not be difficult. Don't let that stop you.

The strut towers are, I think, very much open for debate.

My iX has power steering disabled (belt's been gone he entire time I've owned the car). It doesn't bug me, but what it does is give me *much* better contact patch feel at the limit of tire grip.

The iX, because of its very small caster angle has very poor feel for when a contact patch is about to break loose. There's essentially no change in load on the steering wheel between full grip and sliding.

That being said, the extra caster of the RWD body would *certainly* help contact patch feel.

However, would AWD with that caster angle induce torque steer? I don't know. I suspect not, but I haven't built such a car... yet. I'm also not sure why BMW built the car with so little caster. Did they make a mistake because of their lack of experience with front wheel drive?

Did they feel like the drive torque + caster would muddy steering feel? I can't see that as being their motive because what they did in response certainly muddies steering feel.

In your shoes, I'd do the swap. Please let us know how it turns out.

ETA: Another point: the AWD crossmember bolts to different locations on the body than the RWD crossmember. I've been told that the front bolt holes of the RWD crossmember are in the same location as the rear holes in the AWD crossmember. If that's the case, just bolt the AWD crossmember up to the front two locations in the RWD body and then weld steel in until you have the other two bolt holes. You may also need to notch the front frame rails a little bit for axle clearance.

Comment

FWIW there's a guy up in Windsor CT breaking a white 4 door iX auto, has a blown tranny (whatever that means). He was willing to part with the complete car for $1k a couple of weeks ago.

No idea how much rust it has but I can check if it's still available if you like.

Comment

This swap wouldn't happen for at least a year. I have finish building my Benz V8, and then I've got a VR6 and TDI swap. Oh wait, wrong forum haha.

Thank you guys VERY much for this wealth of information. I definitely want to go for this now. It'll be a decent amount of work, but well worth it in the end for a light, cheap, tossable AWD E30.

Seawolf, seems like a good deal, but I don't have that kind of money to drop on this. I paid $450 for mine. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Right now, all I can hope for is that my coupe doesn't fall apart on me, especially at high speed.

Again, thank you for the info guys. I feel obligated and motivated now lol.

Comment

I'm really curious to see how this all plays out as well. It would be really cool if it turns out that swapping an iX drivetrain to a RWD chassis made a better handling/feeling car. That and you could basically "make" an iX..which is cool because their numbers are limited. Exciting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Exactly! I would also probably make a somewhat detailed write-up on the swap to assist others that want to do the same.

Let's face it... E30s love to rust out, but they're drivetrains are virtually bulletproof. So why not give this rare AWD system a second chance in a nice body?

Comment

Speaking of torque steer, I don't have any of that in mine even with the turbo setup :)
                  E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                  E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                  E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

You're using an original iX chassis, though, right?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                      You're using an original iX chassis, though, right?
                      Yep :)
                      E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                      E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf View Post
                        FWIW there's a guy up in Windsor CT breaking a white 4 door iX auto, has a blown tranny (whatever that means). He was willing to part with the complete car for $1k a couple of weeks ago.

No idea how much rust it has but I can check if it's still available if you like.
                        Is there a listing anywhere for his part-out?

Comment

swap

Originally posted by jackjtr View Post
                          Exactly! I would also probably make a somewhat detailed write-up on the swap to assist others that want to do the same.

Let's face it... E30s love to rust out, but they're drivetrains are virtually bulletproof. So why not give this rare AWD system a second chance in a nice body?
                          Love to rust out? Come on. Let us not forget that they are at least 25 years old. How many other cars that age do you see on the road that you can't see through?

Comment

JIM1inWisconsin, you're right. I should have said:

"Let's face it, 28 year old cars love to rust out"

That being said, my W126 has been driven through Connecticut's salty winters for 32 years, and there's virtually no rust, save for a small hole by the trunk that was caused by a tiny accident. I'm also not worried about the subframe randomly dropping out from under me at high speed.

E30s are VERY VERY well built cars, but a $42k car in 1984 is going to be of higher quality than a $32k car in 1988. Hey, it's what you pay for.

This is not an insult to E30s at all. Why would I have one if I didn't like them?

Comment

swap

I might get an ear full but I've heard that these types of German cars were made with virgin steel and less prone to rust. What I am sure of is that back in the late 50's early 60's Ford made cars that rusted through in five years or so no matter what you did to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X