Transfer case mount bushing replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer case mount bushing replacement

My T-case bushing was pretty much destroyed. Since I have my T-case out for shifter work, I decided I should replace the mount bushing as well.

Here's how it came out:

With a big slide hammer:

The puck is 2.500" in diameter--made from 2.5" round bar--and has to be drilled off-center like this because the bushing bolt hole is off center. The puck has to push the bushing rearward out of the mounting ring, so it has to fit through the same hole the bushing does. The bushing OD is 2.540", but the ends have lead-in chamfers such that the diameter available for pushing on it is pretty much exactly 2.500".

We then used a cap for 2.5" pipe with a hole drilled through it on the rear face of the mounting loop with the off-center puck on the forward side of the bushing and ring. We used 3/8" threaded rod to pull the new bushing into place. We had to use anti-seize on the rod and nut or one of them definitely would have galled... the bushing is a pretty tight fit and fairly difficult to install.
    Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 08-18-2016, 09:51 AM.

yeah lol that job kinda sucks

Comment

Do you think this could be done with a press if i pulled the case out of the car?
      Or would you be willing to loan/rent me the tool?

Comment

Nice ! But takes away all the fun of doing that job with the TC mounted in the car.......right.

Comment

Indicator of correct installation: aligned arrow heads:

The rear face of the bushing (pictured) should be installed flush with the rear face of the mounting boss ring.

Comment

Originally posted by AudioNToxication View Post
            Do you think this could be done with a press if i pulled the case out of the car?
            Or would you be willing to loan/rent me the tool?
            It would take very creative use of cribbing and a couple of extra hands to do this in a press.
            We were slightly surprised to be able to get it out with a slide hammer... even an 8 pounder.

Do you have a slide hammer? We have a special gizmo that allows us to hook up a 3/8" threaded rod to the end of the pressure screw in order to use the slide hammer.

Comment

Nice solution, I would have been scared that the mounting ear would break off. People are always saying to support the ear when you press it out but you used a slide hammer which is a shock type movement instead of the constant pressure of the press. :thumbsup:

Comment

My dad was a little worried about it too. We did push against the ring to install the new bushing.
                It's a snug fit, but it's not *SUPER* tight.

Comment

Working...
                X