Help removing spinning inner ball joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help removing spinning inner ball joint

The joint spins when removing the nut. ItÂ’s grimy or rusted. Almost out. Just canÂ’t get the last few turns. Any suggestions much appreciated...
    Ps: should y break the nut ? Is it easy to find a similar one ASAP?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bankrupt; 04-07-2018, 07:53 PM. Reason: Trouble uploading photos

Originally posted by bankrupt View Post
    The joint spins when removing the nut. It’s grimy or rusted. Almost out. Just can’t get the last few turns. Any suggestions much appreciated...

Ps: should y break the nut ? Is it easy to find a similar one ASAP?

See if putting a jack underneath it putting pressure on it helps. It works sometime to jam the tapered bottom part of the ballpoint still. Worst comes to worst it’s usually a nut that can be sourced locally. We stock it at the dealer I work at because it fits other models...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, jack support and good impact did it for me. I haven’t had success with hand tools on the inners.
      Build Thread
      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
      Parts Thread
      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

+1 for pushing on the bottom side with a jack.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I tightened the nut. I don’t have an impact but maybe gettin one now. BTW the outer joint is a piece of cake. Inner will make you cuss and cry with hand tools.

Comment

Inner one is actually pretty easy. The trick is to do it from the top with extensions - not from the bottom, which is probably a nightmare. From the top you can use a breaker bar and get lots of torque into the nuts. From the bottom you'll be using a ratchet or wrench and well, that's going to suck..

On the drivers side, you have to remove the intake boot and AFM, and probably move the PS reservoir out of the way, but other than putting a jack underneath they're actually easier IMO than the outter ones. It's been a while since I've done mine but IIRC the passenger side was directly visible from the top.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
            X