wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheels

I've got a 1990 325ix with 5 factory wheels that could use refurbishing.

I have a couple of general questions about the factory ix BBS basketweave wheels.

Are they generally available used? How much to they go for? Would they be cheaper to replace or refurb?

Are there any steelies that fit the ix that could be used as winter wheels (preferably with some BMW center caps).

Basically I'm looking for info on what my options are for getting a set (or 2) of wheels for my ix.

Also, how can the ix wheel be identified vs other BMW or BBS basketweaves?

Any links to existing info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Robin

IX winter wheels - I have successfully used standard 14" bottlecaps, a set of 14" steelies with the BMW plastic full wheel covers, and a set of 15" IX weaves over the years.

The 14" bottlecaps are the same ones used on the BMW E30 RWD cars and are cheap and plentiful. No issue with fit on an IX.

The 14" steel set I have have the following info on the wheels - "BMW 1125686" "5 1/2J x 14H2 ET35". I believe these steelies are specifically for the IX. They look very proper for a Euro winter wheel setup and I don't have to suffer a personal crisis every time the roads are salted.

The standard 15" IX weaves have a different offset (ET41) than the other weave wheels (14" and 15" weaves are ET24 I believe). IX weaves are not too difficult to find on here and I've seen prices from between $250 to $500 for a set depending on condition.

Refurbish vs. replace? Depends on your time and talent. To get a set of 5 wheels professionally refurbed and powdercoated is going to be in the range of $500.

When looking for a set of IX weaves, make sure they have the center caps. Those are now in the range of $100+ new for each.
    Last edited by 101; 12-27-2018, 06:00 PM.

The E30 collection:
    1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
    1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
    1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
    1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
    1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
    1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
    1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
    2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
    2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

If you get your iX wheels powdercoated you are going to have to take apart the center caps and get the metal pieces powdercoated as well; then have the plastic piece taken to a body shop to be color matched and painted separately... Not cheap but they will look fantastic.
      My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you.

That was exactly the information I was looking for.

Thanks again!

sod

Comment

Working...
        X