Front Driveshaft Removal Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright everybody, I’m looking for some tips on getting the front driveshaft removed from a transfer case.

The case is pulled from the car, C clip removed and plenty of penetrating oil has been applied to the joining splines but I am having no luck of pulling it off.

May resort to busting out the acetylene torch but wanted to ask around here before possibly burning off the plastic shroud/cover on the rear part of the shaft.

Any help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In-Force:
    1991 325iX - DiamantSchwarz - Metallic
    1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2 - Canary Yellow

Retired/Sold:
    1991 325iX - DiamantSchwarz Metallic
    2002 325i w/ 235k miles - AlpineWeiß
    2002 Saab 9-3
    1972 Fiat 124

Your trying to remove the drive shaft splines from the transfer case? If your having a hard time removing it may be due to the splines being rusted together. I’d soak it with penetrating oil overnight and try again. If you use a torch your probably going to melt the oil seals.

Other than that I’d try using a slide hammer if you have access to one.

Comment

The plastic shroud clips rather securely onto the snout of the T-case front output gear. You should be able to pop it loose by tapping on the giubo flanges at the front with a hammer

Comment

soak repeatedly in oil penetrate, then use a dead blow on the front flanges.
        [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

Update on front driveshaft removal.

After a few days of repeatedly soaking I ended up sparking up the torch to help dissolve some of the rust. Used a solid piece of oak against the output shaft and a sledge hammer to separate it from the driveshaft.

New output shaft seals are on their way and soon I’ll get this thing in the car!

In-Force:
          1991 325iX - DiamantSchwarz - Metallic
          1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2 - Canary Yellow

Retired/Sold:
          1991 325iX - DiamantSchwarz Metallic
          2002 325i w/ 235k miles - AlpineWeiß
          2002 Saab 9-3
          1972 Fiat 124

Comment

Working...
          X