rear spring swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear spring swap

i know i can pry the old springs out, but i want to put original springs back into it, does anyone have any idea how to compress the spring to get it into the rubber isolators without pinching them?

You can get *one* spring compressor on the spring. Remove the ABS sensor and get it out of the way as the compressor shaft will be near it.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I'm confused. Why not just remove the lower strut bolt, pull the trailing arm down, put the spring in and then use a jack under the trailing arm to compressed it so you can put the strut bolt back in? This is how I've always done it.

Comment

I just remounted my completely overhauled subframe & trailing arms back into my Touring. When I removed it the rear springs were still hanging on the spring perches. While mounting it I of course forgot to put them back on the spring perches.

I was able to use a spring compressor though to get the spring back between the chassis and the trailing arm. Wasn't able to push the arm back down enough like AndrewBird is saying.
        I used a spring compressor which has like two half circles. Not the cheap threaded rod ones.
        1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
        1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Found on my convertible that I couldn’t pry the springs out.
          Had to:
          Jack up the control arm so the spring is partially compressed.
          Put on 1x threaded spring compressor with the socket on top and the thread pointing down between the arm and driveshaft.
          Unbolt the lower strut bolt.
          Unbolt the sway bar link
          Lower the arm and tighten the spring compressor
          Should pull the spring out
          Also attach the rubber perches and squeeze the spring in
          Reassemble!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          E30 320i vert
          But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

ok, ill try the single spring compressor method, and andrew, when i pulled the h&r springs out, yes, that works just fine, but the original ix springs are way too tall for that, i can pull the subframe down on my car but the car that im trying to get the new spring out of, not so much. i wish i had one of those circle spring compressors, ill try to make do with one of the death traps

Comment

Working...
            X