Ground Contol Conversion Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Contol Conversion Question

I am in the process of repairing the font axle and suspension of my 89 iX. I decided to and have acquired a ground control conversion kit including camber plates. I am going to use the Bilstein HD shocks which were already installed and my plan is to have the car sit at or near stock height so somewhere in the 13 inch range from hub center to the wheel arch.

I have a 7” 430lb-in spring for the front and a 6” 550lb-in spring for the rear supplier by ground control. I am going to weld the gc spring perch at the original spring perch weld line which should give me plenty of adjustability. The struts will not be shortened.

I have dry fit one of the struts and it appears that at full droop the spring will be loose. I don’t think that will be a problem but I would like to see if anyone has used helper springs or if I should just not worry about it.

So like I'd you jump the car the spring will be loose? I personally don't see an issue with it if you're not flying through the air, but why not give yourself a mild drop to non-ix stock height?

Comment

I would like to still maintain some ground clearance as I live on a dirt road which can get fairly rough some times.

I’m not opposed to lowering some, it’s just that the shock has more travel than the spring. Unless I’m completely wrong, the spring should compress around 2-2.5 inches when loaded, which would be the droop travel before the spring comes of the perch.

I suppose I’m just looking for some reassurance that it will be enough.

Comment

Working...
      X