Recommend me some clean looking side skirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me some clean looking side skirts

Here's the deal, after I got the car painted, I'm not feeling the black bottom too much, so I'm looking into some clean side skirts to go with an IS front lip. I don't plan on getting a front bumper, I like the M-Tech 2 setup, but I don't have the cash for that. So I'm painting my IS front lip silver to match the car, and painting my factory rear valance all silver.

What side skirts does everyone recommend? I'm leaning towards either Taurus side skirts or IS side skirts. Only thing I hate about the IS side skirts is the mounting of them. Wonder if 3M double sided tape will work instead? I wont something that will fit the lower lines of the car, meaning I don't want to get a lower rear apron if I don't have to, i want to keep the stock one.

Here's a pics for reference. BTW, the pics are with just an I lip, I have an IS lip that I'm putting on this week.

Sold.......again.

my car is the same colour, and will look pretty much exactly like yours, only difference is i will have painted mirrors.

i went with the IS sideskirts, 3m tape should do the trick. however, i am still considering drilling. i had tried 3m on my subaru, but ended up drilling also. the sideskirts sagged. the holes i drilled never rusted, even though canadian winter.

ill also have painted IS lip, sideskirts and rear valence. oh and no textured bumpers.
    90 E30 325i

Comment

Originally posted by guibo09 View Post
      my car is the same colour, and will look pretty much exactly like yours, only difference is i will have painted mirrors.

i went with the IS sideskirts, 3m tape should do the trick. however, i am still considering drilling. i had tried 3m on my subaru, but ended up drilling also. the sideskirts sagged. the holes i drilled never rusted, even though canadian winter.

ill also have painted IS lip, sideskirts and rear valence. oh and no textured bumpers.
      Pics?

IS rear valance? No texture bumpers? I'm out the loop.

Sold.......again.

Comment

Originally posted by 91 318is View Post
        Pics?

IS rear valance? No texture bumpers? I'm out the loop.

no pics, car is far from ready. i made a mistake, no IS rear valance, im just gonna paint the black part silver like you.

i meant no textured valances, ie, stock valence stripped of texture coating and resprayed silver. my bad again. what a sloppy post.
        90 E30 325i

Comment

no pics, car is far from ready. i made a mistake, no IS rear valance, im just gonna paint the black part silver like you.

i meant no textured valances, ie, stock valence stripped of texture coating and resprayed silver. my bad again. what a sloppy post.
          Oh ok, so the front and rear valances are coated from the factory? So I can just strip them like you said and paint it silver?

Man I was actually thinking about doing that, I thought they were made textured like that, so I was going to use filler to smooth it out. But with all that work, I might as well just buy another front & rear valances.

Sold.......again.

Comment

Care for these at all?
            turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
            Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

^^ I thought the same thing, But would only look good with a reiger front lip..

Comment

Originally posted by BrewCity11 View Post
                Those don't look that bad, you think they would look bad with the IS lip? I would actually rather have urethane or plastic rather then fiberglass though. If I happen to hit the side skirt, I don't want it to shatter.

Sold.......again.

Comment

I have the IS skirts. They have been painted for a year now and I still have not mounted them. Not comfortable drilling until I can find a template or get help from someone who can measure twice and drill once.

I don't think there is enough contact surface area for 3M to be fully effective. LOL, I even thought of using liquid nail.

As far as your apron and using filler. There is a thread here where some guy actually removed the coating. I had mine painted to match body color. I placed the IS skirts in positon and I like the look from the IS lip spoiler, to skirts and on to the painted rear apron.

Comment

the easy way to get the right position for the holes is to put a dab of white paint (liquid paper works great) on the mounting points of the side skirt. then, you carefully press it against the body in the exact right position.

result: a bunch of little white dots telling your where to drill.

i havent seen IS side skirts from close, but i would assume that there is some give/play in the mounts to allow a good tolerance when drilling. thats how my subaru ones were. and my technique worked flawlessly.
                    90 E30 325i

Comment

taurus skirts can be found for under $20 and they look fine.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
                        taurus skirts can be found for under $20 and they look fine.

Yeah I'm leaning towards those or is skirts. I'd rather keep the stock rear apron. Eventually I would like to get a mtech 2 front valance. Do you have any side shot that shows the lower body lines? I'm curious if the lines match up.

Sold.......again.

Comment

I still need to do something with the rear valance but I haven't decided yet/

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
                            I still need to do something with the rear valance but I haven't decided yet/

Hmmm, it's hard to tell from that pic, between the shade and the skirts being black, I can't tell. Sorry

As I stated, I'd eventually like to get a Mtech 2 front valance and some type of rear apron, so I'd like them to match. For now, I just plan on running the IS lip.

I guess there's nobody that makes a decent, smooth looking side skirt?

Sold.......again.

Comment

the easy way to get the right position for the holes is to put a dab of white paint (liquid paper works great) on the mounting points of the side skirt. then, you carefully press it against the body in the exact right position.

result: a bunch of little white dots telling your where to drill.

i havent seen IS side skirts from close, but i would assume that there is some give/play in the mounts to allow a good tolerance when drilling. thats how my subaru ones were. and my technique worked flawlessly.
                              Thanks! I will give that a test run.

Comment

Working...
                              X