paint removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paint removal

Okay, so a few weeks ago I purchased some side skirts. They were previously painted a red color, and my car is white. So I went through with what i figured would be an easy stripping. Put on some coats of regular stripper, wrapped it in ceran wrap and let it sit over night. Unwrapped it the next day and only some paint came off. same procedure with aircraft stripper, still to no avail. I'm coming down to just sanding the crap out of. Never thought stripping paint could be this much work. The skirts are a neoprene kind of material, similar to that of the is spoiler. Any better idea's?
    Matt

Well first scuff the paint with a course grit sand paper, then apply the stripper but don't wait overnight because it will have evaporated by then.

Just apply stripper, wait a few min for it to start to bubble, then start scraping or pressure wash it off. You may have to do this multiple times.

There's a good stripper at Home Depot that I had good luck with...just can't remember the name. It was not a gel but rather was one that you poured into the included spray bottle and sprayed it on the part. Only warning is if you get the stripper that you spray then don't use it on a windy day for obvious reasons.

Other options would be to get some 60 or 80grit sandpaper for your random orbital sander and go at it.

Comment

Thanks Todd. Figured that out last night. at least break the surface of the paint, then apply the stripper.
      Matt

Comment

You really didn't have to remove the paint, unless it was horrible or not sticking.

Comment

sand blaster?

Comment

[quote=td325ic;1651797]Well first scuff the paint with a course grit sand paper, then apply the stripper but don't wait overnight because it will have evaporated by then.quote]

well it depends on what type of base the stripper has like proxcide or like a mek at our shop we use proxcide which we put on and leave over night during the winter we rap in plastic to keep heat in.mek you slap on wait wipe off also if the paint is lacuer it aint stripping. why are you trying to strip it you be better off sanding it so you dont harm the part.

Comment

paint removal wheel for drill? low setting
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X