X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW
    I want to have your babies.
    No shite..

That loom work got me all hot and bothered..
    Last edited by Simon S; 12-01-2012, 11:50 AM.
    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
      No shite..

Than loom work got me all hot and bothered..
      I was gonna say...you must adore this thread.
      E30 buildy things
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

With the wiring finally finished there were some other small bits to take
        care of before we could fire her up. As detailed earlier we were adding a
        digital oil pressure gauge to the dash and this gauge would need it's own
        sender unit to read the oil pressure and send the info back up to the gauge.
        As the new gauge unit up on the dash was also going to be triggering the
        low oil pressure warning light on the dash cluster we could remove the low
        oil pressure switch and fit our sender unit in it's place.
        However, the S14 is a notoriously "buzzy" engine and shakes the shit out
        of anything bolted to it over it's lifetime. This usually isn't the ideal
        enviroment an oil pressure sensor like's to live in, so, in an attempt to
        prevent the sender from going prematurely tits up, we've remote
        mounted it.

A few fittings and some flexible pipework attached to where the old
        oil pressure switch used to be on the oil filter housing.........

allows the new oil pressure sender to live a more peacefull life mounted to the chassis leg instead.........

Final item worth mentioning before we finish off on the engine is a little
        mod done to the breather system. The breather system on the M3 and
        more or less any engine that was fitted to an e30 is a fairly straight
        forward affair.

Inside the engine, no matter how "super duper" your piston rings are at
        sealing up the cylinder bore, you will always have some small amount of
        compression sneaking by and getting down into the sump. As this
        pressurised air makes it's way past the piston rings down into the sump it
        mixes with the oilly mist down there that has been created by the crank
        spinning over at warp speed.
        This pressurised oil mist has to be gotten rid of otherwise the pressure
        would build and start bursting it's way out past oil seals or working it's
        way back up into the cylinder again once the compression stroke has
        finished. The way it's dealt with on the S14 engine is with these little
        collection of pipes and a plastic chamber..........

The front timing chain cover on the S14 is basically a little hollow chamber
        at the front of the engine that connects the sump to the cam box, so,
        the pressurised oil mist makes it's way up this hollow chamber into the cam
        box on top of the engine. At the rear of the rocker cover theres a breather
        pipe attached to vent this build up........

This breather pipe (yellow) feeds the oilly mist down into a plastic
        seperator chamber bolted onto the side of the engine (blue).........

The seperator chamber uses some voodoo shit to seperate the oil from
        the air, after which the liquid oil is fed back down to the sump via the
        red pipe and the air is fed back into the intake system via the green pipe.
        And everyone goes home happy.
        Well not exactly, in reality some of that oilly mist often ends up making
        it's way back up the green pipe and into the engine to contaminate that
        lovely fresh air coming in.
        With the amount of ball ache we've gone to trying to get some premium
        fresh extra air into this engine to make more power I'll be fucked if I'm
        going to start spraying oilly mist in there too.

So, the solution, vent that green pipe to atmosphere rather than recirculate
        it back into the engine.
        To do this we'd need a new green pipe.........

See that? Formula one technology that is........

Bit hard to see the actual pipe when refitted to the engine........

Comment

She still connects to the plastic seperator at the same port but instead of heading
          for the inlet manifold she does a drunken u turn and makes a b line for the
          gearbox bellhousing..........

and then runs down by the bellhousing to the underneath of the car.......

as she passes by, a little plate covers the now empty original crank sensor
          holes and also secures the pipe......

The thinking is the air passing underneath the car will carry any
          fumes off into the atmosphere. The tree huggers should love that one.

The little filter on the end of the pipe is absolutely essential by the way,
          it does sweet fuck all, but it looks good and thats enough to keep the
          nice people at the yearly car test center happy, bless them.

So that was it. There was no avoiding it any longer the car was ready
          to be brought to life. Unfortunately I don't possess the actual brain
          power required to programe a blank ecu to be able to run an engine,
          so, off she went to some engine tuner's to work their magic.

Looking back it probably would have been nice to get some footage
          of the engine coming to life, unfortunately I was too busy crossing my
          fingers and toes that the engine wouldn't splatter itself all over the inside
          of the workshop while being flogged on the rollers. I have though,
          managed to get some footage of her doing a power run at another rolling
          road recently.
          If you've been following this thread for a while you'll probably be used to
          the fact that I own a fairly shite digital camera, and, I'm fairly shite at
          using it too, so it should come as no suprise that despite my best efforts
          the video footage in this short clip is also reasonably shite and has the
          look of something that may well have been shot using an
          electric toaster rather than a camcorder.
          What can you do.......

Attached Files
          Last edited by xworks; 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM.

Comment

So, did we manage to find a few more stray horses during the
            engine rebuild?
            Well it appears we did, exactly how many is a little hard to say.
            You may or may not already know this, but the simple fact is rolling
            road read outs from different places are practically impossible to
            compare.
            This doesn't matter to much if you intend using the same rolling road
            for all your future tuning, as each new run should be reasonably
            comparable to the last, allowing you to see what gains your modifications
            have made. However, as we never had this M3 tested on any of the
            following rollers while the engine was in original spec, it's hard to put
            an exact figure on the gains made.

To illustrate the point here's the print out's from the 3 rolling roads the car
            has been on to date..........

rollers A: max bhp = 265
            : max torque = 188

rollers B: max bhp = 258
            : max torque = 234

rollers C: max bhp = 252
            : max torque = 191

So depending on whether your a glass half full, glass half empty, or a fuck
            the glass gimme the whole bottle, type of guy, we seem to have made a
            gain of between 55 to 65 horse power over the standard 195bhp engine
            the car started with.

The truth of the matter is, for me, max bhp figures are for car magazines
            and tv motoring programes, they tell you very little about how an engine
            feels like to drive.
            Since the bulk of the engine tunning has been completed (still some small
            bit's to tidy up), I've wasted no opportunity in clocking up as many miles
            as I can behind the wheel.
            To date I've managed a little over 9000km and I absolutely love the engine.
            It pulls reasonably well from low down, which is handy in everyday traffic,
            but find a clear stretch of road and leave the boot sunk a little longer and
            the engine really comes alive.
            The sound of the airbox alone makes every bit of hardship and hard earned
            (borrowed) money spent on nailing this engine together worthwhile.

It truely is a crying shame that theres no (relatively speaking) "cheap" way
            of going about fitting an airbox to these engines (when you add up the price
            of the box itself, the stand alone or piggy back ecu required to dump the
            airflow meter and the rolling road time required to dial in the correct fuel
            and/or ignition settings). That being said, for me anyway, the induction
            sound the airbox has added to the car is without doubt my single favorite
            modificaton of the whole build.

Theres a beautiful change in tone when the engine heads north of 5000rpm
            and for a brief moment your in your own little tarmac rally,
            right up untill you spot the white van parked up ahead and have a brief shite
            attack while you wonder if it's a Gatso van taking a Kodak moment of you
            and your little pride and joy to accompany the fine and 3 penalty points for
            speeding.

I'm going to leave it at that for now. For the final update I'm trying my best
            to get some decent pic's of the finished car, and, if I can manage not to
            electrocute myself with the camcorder I'll try and take a quick vid of the
            car in motion that doesn't look as if it was shot with an electric tootbrush.

Till then.........
            Attached Files
            Last edited by xworks; 12-02-2012, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Great update to my favorite thread!

Comment

looking forward to the final installment

•• Powersteering Deletes • M20 Motor & Trans Mounts • 24V swap mounts • UHMW Offset CABs ••
                •• Rear Subframe Bushings • RTABs • Facebook ••

Comment

so by blueprinting a high-spec engine like the S14 , 50hp can be gained! Stunning build.

Comment

:bow:
                    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

I've only got up to post *83 and just had to reply.

I've seen this car at the e30 meet in athlone this year and cant believe this is the same one. Any pics I got that day were near the end of the day as the amount of people standing around it was mindblowing. Well done and cant wait till get reading further how you achieved such a stunner of a car. I thought when I seen it at the show it was brand new and one of these that was purchased and tucked away for decades. How wrong I was.

Comment

Oh my God!
                        I never thought that a topic like this could exist.. but here it is !
                        I made this account especially to congratulate you and thank you that there still are people like you doing such acts of passion.
                        Thus, dear sir , i salute you !

I've read it all and copied all just ctrl + a and paste into a word doc, now it is over 1300 pg. Just to have all the knowledge safe.

------------------

Ok.
                        My second reason :)
                        I have on question if a may regarding the MAF (AFM in your case ) delete.
                        My dream is the BMW E34 M5 3.8 L.
                        The engines, at core, S14 and S38 are the same.
                        Th S38b38 has more electrical gizmos like:
                        - individual coil plugs
                        - variable intake manifold / resonance flap - controled by the ECU to increase volumetric efficency optimizing air flow for low end power and also high rpm scream - it opens and closes at various rpm points.

- uses a MAF insteand of an AFM.
                        - Bosch Motronic M3.3

- has 1 cam sensor (i don't think the S14 has it), 1 crank, 1 lambda, 1 TPS, the temp ones and what's left for the basic one etc.

So, including the above in your knowledge, what is the best route for me to delete the MAF (reason ? over 1000 euroes for a dam sensor !! ) but also no to loose the drivability and reliability. (no to mention i understand by doing this you also gain throttle response etc )

- alpha-n via a chip (piggyback? ) using only the tps from what i read (but i loose the self ajustment to elevation? ) ?? (also not forgetting the ecu controled flap inside the manifold-will it still work ?)
                        - can i also add a MAP sensor ? using a MAP will it do everyhting like self learning etc? (because the BMW E46 M3 CSL uses a MAP vs the stock m3 which uses a MAF )
                        - go stand alone like you and i can do everything but a lot of $$ ? Will it be like factory i mean can you depend on it to work 100% in every weather scenario etc once it is fully tuned ?
                        - etc

The electronic stuff i'm trying to learn so if anybody can spare some time to explained every scenario/ options etc i will be in your dept.
                        Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by rorschach View Post

I've read it all and copied all just ctrl + a and paste into a word doc, now it is over 1300 pg. Just to have all the knowledge safe.
                          Any way you could upload that to a site like uploaded.net or rapidgator? Would love to have that file for future reference.

Comment

Yes sure no problem.

I hope it works.

Comment

A few pic's..........

Merry Christmas.

Comment

love
                                Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                                http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                                X