Powercoating a hood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powercoating a hood?

I have a good condition hood and free access to powder coating. Would the thin metal of the hood hold up to temps of 400 degrees without warping? I thought it might be a cheap solution to painting. Thanks in advance.
    1987 325i-M60b44 swap

when you take a car to a body shop for any body work or a respray. how hot do you think the booth gets?

Comment

what he is trying to say is yes

think about how hot your hood gets just from running the car and then it sitting in the sun after

Need Illustration or Design work? www.robbiebyerly.com

Comment

Originally posted by White325is View Post
        when you take a car to a body shop for any body work or a respray. how hot do you think the booth gets?

Pretty sure its not anything like 400 degrees, you don't think it will thin sheet metal will warp?
        1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

I just did a google search and it says 210+ Says for every 15 degree in temp above that you can cut the baking time in half. So why dont you try it on a spare hood first?

Comment

Powdercoating only needs ~250ยบ, if that. Not 400. It should be fine.

The issue would be if part of the hood heated up or cooled down at a different rate than the rest of the hood. That is when metal stretches and you get warpage. If heat evenly like in an oven, you won't have a problem.

Comment

powders generally call for 10-15 minutes at 400*. Some are 350ish, and yeah you can bake for longer at lower temps but this guy knows that 400 is the magic #. I think it'll be fine that's my feeling, if you're worried leave it in the oven with the door cracked open to cool down so it doesn't cool so suddenly.

Comment

Working...
              X